Thread: What to do about false positives?

phoenixgtr Guest

Default What to do about false positives?

I had my first false positive today: the file nvappbar.exe was identified as the virus Email-wWorm.Win32.Small.f.
    In fact this is a legitimate nVidia file (the nView Toolbar) and has already been identified as a false positive on the Kaspersky forum, which says something will be done about it soon.My question is, what do I do about it in the meantime?
    If I put it on the list of exceptions ZASS lists it not by file name and path,
    but by the name of the virus which it is not--this means if I add it to exceptions that virus--the real one--can get in, doesn't it?
    So how to I get ZASS to leave nvappbar.exe alone while still detecting real viruses?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: What to do about false positives?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>PhoenixGTR wrote:
    So how to I get ZASS to leave nvappbar.exe alone while still detecting real viruses?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, its not possible to exclude "on access" only "on demand" (scan targets)Usually false positives are fixed in a matter of hours.... so you should not leave excluded that malware longer than 6/7 hours.The probability of getting infected by that virus within hundreds of viruses around I beleive is very limited, but still it would be nice to have exclusion by file name!Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

phoenixgtr Guest

Thanks for the speedy reply, fax.
    I'll delete it from the list of exceptions when I log off today and then try again tomorrow.
    Which do you think is the best setting for my Virus Management treatment options in the meantime:1) leave it on the recommended setting and remove
    the nVidia file
    from quarantine if it gets &quot;caught&quot; again, or2) change the setting to &quot;try to repair, and alert me if repair fails&quot; or &quot;alert me--do not treat automatically&quot;?

Hi!I would keep it as default, if this have been reported to KAV the false positive should have been fixed by now.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information