Thread: Test Your PC Security & Health - Free!

fredvn Guest

Default Test Your PC Security & Health - Free!

Just received an email with the subject "Test Your PC Security & Health - Free!" presumably from ZoneAlarm. Is it for real, or is it an nefarious attempt to get me to download a trojan horse.
    FredVN

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Test Your PC Security & Health - Free!

Zone Alarm does not send such mail so the sender's address is made up. Trash it. You my try looking at the header for the sending IP but it's unlikely to turn up anything specific.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 05-30-200709:33 PM

naivemelody Guest

There are a few posts in Off-Topic, too.<hr>Please check this past post from last month - http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=15948
    - read all. Confirm if it's the same or not?? My perspective is that it is a third party company;
    be cautious or wary if they ask for personal info. and financial info. especially.NaiveMelody NYC 5-31-07

zaswing Guest

NaiveMelody, very interesting thread there.Perhaps, just perhaps, at intallation of ZA product, there's some sort of a checkbox to get further info from ZL which invites subsequent emails. I don't remember. But if there was, I wouldn't have selected it, so that's why I don't get such mails.
    I wonder what it is that they can check in 2-3 minutes Must be a very small system. And we haven't seen any results in any of those posts.

If I recall correctly, the ZA install asks the user to get registered and submit an email address. Just below that is an option for a request to send emails for news and updates (read spam). It is this option, id checked, that will keep checkpoint to submit such emails.

If the user follows the emails, there is as in all email (at the bottom of the ad) to have the user's address removed from the email listing. Respectable companies will do so accordingly and there is no risk if the company is well known or respected.

BUT if the spam removal site is from, oh lets say "free laptop" or "free vacation" or "make friends tonight" or something of a very inviting nature, then never try this. In this case your email address must be given to be removed from the spam and instead the spammer has successfully obtained your email address and you will have even more spam than ever! In this case, it is just a trick by spammers to actually get valid email addresses.

Cheers.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

It probably does a registry check. How long does a reg cleaner take to scan- about the same amount of time?

I have no idea, since I avoid these things like the plague.

But if it installs a software and then uses a main database/scanner from the server, it probably checks even more- like the windows directory and the c drive. It would not take long.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fredvn Guest

Yup, it looks like the same one. It is a pretty professional looking email, so it would be easy to fall for it. Thanks for the info. It is in my trash.
    FredVN

nikef Guest

had 2 of these emails now,will put them in the bin

Message Edited by nikef on 06-06-200709:30 PM

Thread Information