Thread: Regedit gone - followed instructions - still doesn't work

netbadger Guest

Default Regedit gone - followed instructions - still doesn't work

I, like so many others was affected by the false positive on the regedit.exe file.
    I have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.337.000, with the TrueVector engine of the same version.
    I'm running XP Pro with SP2.
    I went to use regedit.exe and the link to it, showed a missing file.
    I looked in my Windows directory and couldn't find it.
    Since I had not received any notice from ZoneAlarm that their software had mistakenly quarantined one of my critical system files, I went into the Windows System32 directory and tried to run regedt32.exe and it wouldn't run.
    Still not having any idea that ZoneAlarm's program was the cause, I googled the problem, and it came up with a link to the user forum here.
    I followed the link, and read through all the post.
    I followed the directions to update my virus definitions and then restore the files from quarantine.
    I then tried to run regedit.exe again, and it still wouldn't work.
    The cursors goes into a "working in the background" status, and never exits it.
    I opened the task manager to try and end the process, but it wouldn't let me highlight the entry.
    My only option was to reboot the computer.
    When I did, a message briefly flashed saying "regedit.exe - dll failed to initialize, system shutting down".
    After rebooting, I went into the /windows/system32/dllcache and copied the regedit.exe file from there, to overwrite the one in the Windows subdirectory.
    It asked if I wanted to overwrite the file, the byte size was the same, and I clicked on yes.
    I've tried running it from all three locations at least ten times, and each time, I have only been able to get control of the system by rebooting.
    I decided to write tech support an e-mail about the problem, but found my only option was to pay ZoneAlarm's technicians to fix a problem caused by their product, or to use a discussion board.
    I've been paying for ZoneAlarm products for over five years now, and I doubt that I will renew.
    Every software company has problems from time to time.
    Some are small, and others are major, but they need to live up to the errors no matter which category they fall into.
    On the important notices and even the Helpful Hints or Official information, there is not a single reference to this problem.
    Through no fault of the end user except relying on ZoneAlarm's software, a critical system file is removed.
    If a company makes a major mistake, they need to offer the additional support the buyers of their product will need to deal with it.
    I realize that according to the usage policy they are not responsible for anything their software does to my computer, nor are they responsible for anything said in the online forum to try to fix the problem, but I do hope that they have a working solution to my problem.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Regedit gone - followed instructions - still doesn't work

" decided to write tech support an e-mail about the problem, but found my only option was to pay ZoneAlarm's technicians to fix a problem caused by their product, or to use a discussion board."

Not true. The email support is free for all valid license holders. Only the live support is not free.

Did you actually read the boards? Or try the suggestion from here>

http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/b...essage.id=2285

No mention of dll cache fixes in my reply to the other users who have remedied the problem.

As for your unsatisfaction, I cannot help you. Best of luck with the other security applications.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

netbadger Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    I did try the steps outlined in the suggestion:http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/b...essage.id=2285before posting my problem here.
    Also, I did go to the ZoneAlarm Web-Based Customer Service e-mail form.
    The first sentence states, " This form is for non-technical help."
    So I assumed that meant questions such as mine would not be appropriate for that method of support.
    In reference to your statment, "No mention of dll cache fixes in my reply to the other users who have remedied the problem.", I was not aware the cause of the problem was ZoneAlarm, until after I had tried running regedit.exe from the dllcache directory, and then searching Google.
    There may be others that don't associate the problem with ZoneAlarm until trying some other solutions.
    I did come up with a fairly simple solution, that I will share with the other users of the board, who may encounter the same problem.
    Apparently trying to run the regedit.exe file from the /windows/system32/dllcache when regedit.exe isn't available, causes it to copy the regedt.exe file, which is only 4.5K.
    The symptom that shows you are running into this specific
    problem, is when you try to overwrite
    the regedit.exe file in the windows directory it drops from 131K to 4.5K, and still won't run.

The solution is to go back to your install CD for XP and copy the regedit.exe file, which isn't compressed into the /windows/system32/dllcache directory.
    After that, it will allow you to copy the regedit.exe file into the windows subdirectory without resizing it.
    I hope this helps.

Message Edited by netbadger on 07-05-2007 06:08 PM

You found Customer Support not the Technical Support. That is why you were informed that there was no tech help.

If you followed the previous post for the Technical Support url, you would have found all the tech help that would ever be needed.

Please note in my previously mentioned fix is a simple system file check which would automatically replace the missing regedit. Also I never mentioned to use to use the dll cache for access/coping or use and instead suggested to open the regedit from the system32 folder.

So your new solution is already listed in my old previous posts.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-05-2007 07:01 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information