Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZA Anti Spyware thinks "oem8.PNF" is Trojan

espart Guest

Default ZA Anti Spyware thinks "oem8.PNF" is Trojan

The file (oem8.PNF) is in C:\WINDOWS\inf folder.
    Name (According to ZA): Win32.Trojan.Dropper.Small.156
    Risk: Meduim
    Path: C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem8.PNF
    What should i do?

Help appreciated

Espart,

ZoneAlarm Pro v. 7.0.362.000
    Windows XP SP2

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZA Anti Spyware thinks "oem8.PNF" is Trojan

Open the oem.inf file with the notepad and see what it says inside. More than likely, it is hardware related.

Very good chance this is a false positive!

Just set the scanner to ignore this file. That should remedy the problem for the time being.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

It's one of my files I found on my Windows XP SP2 system - does it match as below?

File size: 19,988 bytes
    Date modified: Friday, 16 February 2007, 22:30:07 PM
    Date created: Friday, 16 February 2007, 22:30:07 PM

If it does, then it's another false positive. Ignore it!

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 07-31-2007 09:46 PM

espart Guest

Jeruselem,

Size: 6KB
    Date Modified: 30/06/2007 04:30
    Date Created: 30/06/2007 04:30
    and
    Oldsod, i opened the file in NP the only thing readable there was: "F r i e n d l y T e c h n o l o g i e s" and "P P P o E p r o t o c o l f o r m a k i n g c o n n e c t i o n s t o D S L g a t e w a y s"

For now i ignored it.
    Thanks

Espart

Yeah, odd! Mine is much bigger. I'll do a little more research on that file.

PNF = Precompiled Setup Information

Looks like each XP system has different PNF files but your file looks like standard one.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 07-31-2007 11:04 PM

waltwarren Guest

I
    got the same alert for OEM8.PNF today.
    Mine's dated 8/4/2004 and the associated INF file has information on a HP Designjet plotter.
    Since I haven't had
    problems for the last 3 years associated with this trojan,
    I'm going to ignore it.
    Walter

fung Guest

Hi. I've just spent 5 hours diagnosing why, on reboot of my system, that my monitor goes blank.
    Conclusion: After ZA ran it's anti-spyware scan today
    I automatically quarantined trojan "win32.trojan.dropper.small.156" - path "C:\windows\inf\oem8.pnf" - Registrykey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Video\\Devic e\Video4.
    Fortunately I screened printed the result and saved it as a word doc and put two and two together about an hour ago.
    To test my theory, using Windows System Restore facility (under SAFE MODE - only way I could get access to windows instead of a blank screen) I restored to the last system checkpoint and rebooted. Allowed ZA to run the anti-spyware scan and selected "Ignore Once" then rebooted. Ta Da !! Windows started up without problems.
    My oem8.pnf was dated 28/09/2004 and is 6KB. Looks exactly the same as when I bought the PC.
    Oh why is it coming up on ZA's Anti-spyware list ?
    It's not on Spybot or Ad-Aware lists nor is there any reference to it on a google search.

steve_garry Guest

Had exactly the same happen here this evening, it's reporting that oem8.pnf and oem9.pnf are affected, and the files are seemingly part of the HP printer driver system that was installed in 2004.

No other anti virus or spyware scan program (I have several) is reporting these files as suspicious, so I too am taking the opinion that for now, they are a false positive. Doesn't stop me from being paranoid though, given the level of junk that is flying around the place at the moment.
    Steve

bdoyle Guest

I dont consider myself as an experienced user
    however I am not nexperienced but this morning I deleted this file (oem8.PNF), as I assumed ZA would not have picked it up incorrectly. As consequence I have had the same problem as Fung who I notice quarantined his file. My Laptop is now going through a system restore (using my Business Laptop to do this) and hopefully all will be well. However I expect there to be thousands of people out there with the same problem maybe. I am lucky and have access to my Business IT Manager but not everyone has that.
    I have now lost complete trust in Zone Alarm. Here's hoping my System Restore will come through.
    Brian.

tomdelonge Guest

What i had done is updated my Anti-Spyware, this had fixed my problem and it does not alert me of this false positive. When it alerted me it did ask me to quaranteen or delete it but i did not apply for any of the options and simply jst an update fixed it. Just give that update now button a try an see if it fixes the problems for any of other people experiencing this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information