Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor problem after trojan removal

tim_tylor Guest

Default Monitor problem after trojan removal

On 31 July I did a manual Zonealarm antivirus/antisoftware scan and got an alert for a trojan. Following the advice I deleted it. When I restarted my computer there was no image on the monitor after the first startup screens. I restarted the computer several times without getting an image, and only got it working again after using system restore in safe mode. I got a trojan alert today when I scanned again for spyware, but after
    the monitor incident
    I don't want to risk removing it until I know it's genuine. I'm using ZoneAlarm security suite on Windows XP, and the name given for the trojan in the antispyware log is Win32.Trojan.Dropper.Small.156.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

bdoyle Guest

Default Re: Monitor problem after trojan removal

I had the same problem Tim, and I am currently doing a Restore now (using my Business Laptop to do this). Complete pain. I dont expect ZA to get somethhing as basic as this wrong. Thankfully I have access to an IT guy in my Business
    who can help me out.
    Bad show Zone Alarm.
    Brian.

Hi, is the anti-spyware picking up that Trojan in files like C:\windows\inf\OEM8.PNF?

If it is, then tell the system to IGNORE so it does not trash those files.
    It's a false positive which is accidently marking Windows files as Trojans.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 08-01-2007 10:34 PM

tim_tylor Guest

Thanks, Guru. It's files C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem8.PNF and oem9.PNF. I've set it to permanently ignore them now.

dbell Guest

Excuse me for interrupting this thread . . . but I encountered the exact same problem on my home computer today.
    Could you please give a step-by-step instruction on how to fix this issue?
    I've tried pressing F8, F10, etc. on boot . . . but I am still getting the blank screen and cannot get into 'Safe Mode'.
    Thanks!

tim_tylor Guest

I usually hold F8 down right from the start so as not to miss the moment. That brought up a "select operating system" menu that you can choose Safe Mode from. Once Safe Mode's started, I clicked on the Start button, chose Help and Support, and clicked on "System Restore" under Additional Resources. Fortunately I still got images in Safe Mode, so I could do that. Did anything at all appear on the screen at the beginning when your computer started up?

dbell Guest

Yes.
    I received the Windows XP Pro splash screen with the "progress bar".
    But, there was no text at top or bottom identifying the Function Keys that interrupt the boot.
    When I get home tonight I will try again and hold the F8 down solid on power-up.
    Thanks!

tomdelonge Guest

Also as i have said on one of the posts just simply update your anti-spyware which the alert will disapear

tim_tylor Guest

I saw a function key message on the very first screen at startup - I think it's too late when the XP splash screen appears. It's annoying, really - I wish there were a key combination that shuts down the computer and automatically restarts it in Safe.

dbell Guest

F8 at power-up, initiate Safe-Mode, and restored last good boot worked great.
    Updated Virus/Spyware definitions.
    Shutdown and restarted - all is well.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information