Thread: Site with strange ...virus?

annex Guest

Default Site with strange ...virus?

What is it in that link? WARNING: http://www.alinkdirectory.com/ When I clicked it something bad started to happen with my mozilla and then it even turned off my system and any of my firewalls (Zone Alarm) and anyviruses (SpySweeper+Antyvirus and Avast) couldn't stop this... this thing made me a bunch of stress :/ am I safe now? or this thing have done something to me and I don't even know ? Can some tell my what it was and what it possibly done to me? I removed all suspicious objects and restored system...

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by AnneX on 08-07-2007 03:47 AM

Message Edited by AnneX on 08-07-2007 03:48 AM

Default Re: Site with strange ...virus?

The site seems Ok to me. I visited it and found no warnings or anything strange.

I suggest you scan with your vernerable arsenal of scanners in the safe mode, to be sure, if you are concerned.

The McAfee online site adviser show the site as OK.

http://www.explabs.com/

Another on-line site checker is link scanner at exploit labs. The search engine is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.explabs.com/

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-07-2007 09:43 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Same results here...Site looks OK, must be something else that caused the problem.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

annex Guest

Thank you! I was looking for that tool but I forgot its address. Well maybe this guy already dropped this thing or maybe I don't remember the right link.. I was so confused and disturbed when it was happening.. when I noticed that my browser buttons started to blink very fast (the red stop button) and something downloads first thing I wanted to do was turning off browser and lol when I did this the browser opened again itself... I couldn't also click on start manu to break connection so I was going to turn off power.. but this thing was fastter lol... but actually it scared me and it was not funny..

I think it was a different link that had this malware.

Actually you did the right thing- closing the browser was a good move. If the browser is set to clean the cache on closing, the files would have been deleted. And the connection would be closed.

The panic cold hard shutdown not only turned off the PC, but it killed any possible malware in the memory (RAM) that could have been active at the time. Those hard shut downs kill anything that is present in the active memory. The old expression was "pull the power plug" - sometimes that is even faster than hittng the power button and having that 3 second delay. The power cord pull method is fast and immediate. Normal shutdowns will kill or clean the memory, but some malware does install in the last second while the PC is closing down. Particularly true with some troyans and rootkits.

YOU MAYBE LUCKY AND HAVE KIILED IT.

But for extra insurance, take a look at the spywarewarrior online self help guide. This has sites and great helps for making sure the PC is clean or removing the nasties.

http://spywarewarrior.com/sww-help.htm

Cheers,
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-07-2007 11:27 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

It is scary. I have experienced this too. The same happened to me years ago. In a laptop. Using the IE5 and NAV2004. A mean and nasty virus. I flipped the laptop over and removed the battery and pulled the plus. I was lucky- laptop was not damaged or infected. I was just fast enough I guess and perhaps the AV did do some help too.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information