Thread: Email-Worm.Win32.Brontok.a

newham Guest

Default Email-Worm.Win32.Brontok.a

ZA scan picks up the "Email-Worm.Win32.Brontok.a" virus which it tells me it will delete upon reboot. Which it does not.
    When I press 'learn more'in the scan box it takes me to the ZA website and gives me an extensive description of the virus but no possible removal suggestions.
    What I am paying for here?
    I appreciate that ZA may not be able to block everything and that some of these viruses may slip through due to human error but when this happens I expect better support. Even if ZA can't remove it I need to know how to remove it manually. And I am annoyed at the thought of having to pay for other spyware/anti virus programs JUST to remove this one virus.
    Meantime without the ability to remove the virus my machine is simply turned off while I wait for ZA to respond...

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Email-Worm.Win32.Brontok.a

If you look two posts down, you'll see the same post - http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=22871
    - from Guru Fax ...<hr>Hi!if it is detected in a DLL signed by Microsoft, its a false positive.Just update the virus definition, it has already been fixed.
    Cheers,Fax<hr>:0NaiveMelody NYC 8-16-07 - Jeopardy - Greg Kihn Band

newham Guest

Thankyou for your reply.
    However how can I tell if this is a dll, let alone one signed by signed by Microsoft?
    As for updating my virus definitions, my system is set up to do this automatically so I assume it should already by set up.

nsesa Guest

I echo your sentiments exactly newham. I found more information about removal on the symantec site than in zonealarm. Unfortunately symantec spoke to their own product (as you would expect). There was no such thing with ZA that I could find and sending a request for tech help... only business hours M-F USA time which means I have to wait another 2 days to get a reply after spending a day trying to get answers on ZA!! Yes, what are we paying for when it does not seem to protect you or support is almost non existent!

Thread Information