Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trojan Downloader.Win32.Agent.bxx

buzzwood Guest

Default Trojan Downloader.Win32.Agent.bxx

I recently acquired this wonderful item. No matter how many scans I do with different products it keeps showing up. What is it, and most importantly, how do I get rid of it once and for all?? I used AVG Scan, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and a new one A-Squared. Thanks in advance for your help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

findley Guest

Default Success with stubborn trojans turn off System Restore and scan in Safe Mode

I've had some success in the past
    getting rid of
    stubborn trojans reappearing
    by turning off System Restore then scanning in safe mode.
    I don't have this one but its worked on others.

Default Re: Success with stubborn trojans turn off System Restore and scan in Safe Mode

Download this tool and disable the resident AV and then run this tool:

http://www.norman.com/Virus/Virus_removal_tools/en

It should remove the Agent trojan.

cheers,
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

buzzwood Guest

Default Re: Success with stubborn trojans turn off System Restore and scan in Safe Mode

It's me again. I tried both suggestions, but scans still reveal this same file. I tried Safe Mode with Restore Disabled, Scanned, found same file and choose to delete it. Rebooted computer normally and scanned again only to find the same file again. Then I Ran the Norman Cleaner, which found the same file and automatically deleted it. But when I scanned again, the same file was found. Namely, C:\WINDOWS\system32\hanonvt.ini
    detected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bxx

I just don't know where to proceed from here. This file just seems to come right back. Please help.

Hi!you may want to try this:http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.phpIt should fix it.If not, post you hijackthis Log here:ttp://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.htm lPlease read mandatory steps before posting:http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.htmlCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-23-2007 10:12 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

buzzwood Guest

Thanks for the extra info. I will check it as soon as I can. I am following another post from a different site. I really do appreciate your response and will post the results. That way we all learn something.

There is a rootkit involved with this particular infection. It is possible the rootkit is surviving and on the startup it again reinstalls the malicious files. The rootkit will have to be eradicated first before it stops the re-occuring process once again.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amitav Guest

i do not intend to publicize my blog here. i seek some answers. GURU, i want to know how to eradicate rootkits. many anti-rootkit tools are in beta only and not many are available. my ideas about it are in
    http://www.software-experiments.blogspot.com
    you may have a look about the anti-rootkit tools. i want to know if any other tool you know works better. i have written about Sophos anti rootkit tool, one from AVG and from Panda Labs. the first two are beta versions while Panda labs one is not.

buzzwood Guest

I did install AVG Free Rootkit and scanned with that, but it came up empty. I ended up using a utility called SmitFraud.exe It cleaned out all the files for this Trojan. I had to run the utilty twice in Safe Mode.
    I also found a startup program called zzzHPSetup.exe which was an unknown to every site I went to. I eliminated that. I have scanned several times and my system appears to be clear. Finally. Sorry I meant to get back sooner with the results. Thanks for all your input. It gave me some ideas to investigate. Your time was greatly appreciated.

Thank you buzzwood.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information