Thread: Virus got through, undetected, wrecked my system

tazowolf Guest

Default Virus got through, undetected, wrecked my system

I'm a bit **bleep**ed right now. The other week, my computer completely crashed. All indicators are that it became infected with a virus. Despite the security suite being at its highest security settings in all areas, doing the deepest scans with antivirus, something got through undetected. It likely occurred when I mistakenly ended up on a questionable website when researching something unrelated to what was on the site (rather frightening, actually... It appeared to be a terrorist site. I reported it to the CIA and FBI before I even realized my system got a virus from it).

Shortly after visiting the site, various aspects of my OS (Windows XP) stopped functioning. One of the first things to go was the ability to transfer files. I checked my hard drive, and over 7 GB free space had gone down to less than 50 MB. I tried to free up some space, and it would be filled as fast as I cleared it. One by one, my programs stopped functioning. It marched through my system like a firestorm. Even the professionals could not identify the virus, although there was no doubt that was what was causing this.

I allow mobile code and cookies ONLY from websites I trust, but somehow this got through. Even worse, Kaspersky did not detect it later. There IS a bug somewhere. One thing I notice in the privacy settings is that new websites aren't being added to the site list. Why is this? Why am I now having to enter them in manually?

I would like some explanations. I can't afford this to happen again. I'm in medical school, and I lost a TON of important material when this occurred, and it put me a week behind in my current studies.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Virus got through, undetected, wrecked my system

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TazoWolf wrote:
    One thing I notice in the privacy settings is that new websites aren't being added to the site list. Why is this? Why am I now having to enter them in manually?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Probably your ZA database where settings and configuration are stored is corrupt so new sites are not stored... please note that sites are cleaned out everytime your restart your ZA. You may need to reset the ZA database: http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.htmlWhat version of ZASS are you using, Is it 7.0.337.000?What was the virus that was not detected? And if nobody detected a virus how did you know was a virus?Having the HD filled by data does not necessarily mean you are infected.I'll suggest you have your system analysed by experts (link below), in order to be sure you are clean. Than you should remove and reinstall fresh ZASS 7 checking that your AV and AS signature are correctly updated.http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.htmlPlease read mandatory steps before posting:http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.htmlFax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Virus got through, undetected, wrecked my system

I'm sorry but I can't help you directly. Remember, an antivirus will only detect known viruses and even with the latest updates, your PC is still very vulnerable to the very newest virus releases. Unfortunately many virus are being written using advanced software engineering techniques. They are sophisticated software and not just programs written by backyard hackers.

This is timely reminder to always keep an image backup of your hard disks. This gives you the ability to restore a hard disk to a known good configuration in the event of a disaster like this. This is not the same as a Windows XP "restore point" option.

There are many disk backup programs available including a well known and much used commercial package (for a price!). However, an excellent disk backup program called "Snapshot" is available as shareware and is more than equal to the commercial product. For what it costs (EUR39) Snapshot offers great peace-of-mind, and will provide excellent insurance against these kinds of disasters.

Thread Information