Thread: Worm.Win32.Huhk.c YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!

joeym Guest

Default Worm.Win32.Huhk.c YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!

Okay, so I've googled myself nearly to death looking for info on this "Worm.Win32.Huhk.c" that ZoneAlarm discovered today, and I happened to find something on the Kaspersky forums that states it as a false-positive.
    Is there any way you guys can stop my ZoneAlarm from continually finding this and attempting to delete it???
    It's annoying as **bleep**!!!
    Also, if you're reading this, do NOT - I REPEAT! - DO NOT delete the explorer.exe file!!!!
    You will have even more trouble than you started with, because that's what the jerk creators of this false-positive want you to do.

Anyway, if any of you ZoneLabs employees are reading this, could you pretty please create an update, so that I can kiss this pain in the **bleep** false-malware goodbye??
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...showuser=52424

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

smurxf Guest

Default Re: Worm.Win32.Huhk.c YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!

I did a clean uninstall and re-install and it solved the problem. I was receiving exactly the same virus report, but selected to ignore it, uninstalled ZA Internet Security with the clean option, and re-installed. On scanning now, it does not pick up explorer as a virus.

Weird!

mcovalt Guest

Default A "Quick" fix to an accidentally deleted explorer.exe

So seeing a "worm" detected by ZoneAlarm I foolishly did what it wanted me to do, delete the explorer.exe when I reboot the computer. So I rebooted, only to find a completely empty screen (ex. taskbar, start menu, desktop icons, etc.) with nothing but my wallpaper. So I did the following steps to get it back and temporarily fix the virus issue (the real issue will be fixed when Zonealarm fixes there $60 product):

1. At the "blank" screen hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up the task manager

2. Click the "Applications" tab then click on the "New Task" button down on the bottom of the dialog box

3. When asked what to open, browse to your Zonealarm installation folder (C:/Program Files/Zone Labs/ZoneAlarm by default) and launch "zlclient.exe"

4. This will bring up the normal ZoneAlarm main window

5. On the side click "Anti-virus/Anti-spyware" and disable the two services

6. Now click on the "Quarantine" tab and go to the "Virus" quarantine view.

7. You will see two "viruses" named Worm.Win32.Huhk.c restore both of them (they will not harm your computer as they are false-positives)

8. Restart the computer and you should boot up normally

NOTE: These instructions assume your ZoneAlarm is set to backup and quarantine viruses (it does this by default). I was running the most current version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite when I did this.

Default Re: Worm.Win32.Huhk.c YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!

<blockquote><hr>smurxf wrote:
    I did a clean uninstall and re-install and it solved the problem. I was receiving exactly the same virus report, but selected to ignore it, uninstalled ZA Internet Security with the clean option, and re-installed. On scanning now, it does not pick up explorer as a virus.

Weird!
    <hr></blockquote>

The AV gets very frequent updates. If there is a false positive, the databasse usual;y get straighten out on the next update or so (in a few hours usually or the next day at the latest).

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: A "Quick" fix to an accidentally deleted explorer.exe

<blockquote><hr>mcovalt wrote:
    So seeing a "worm" detected by ZoneAlarm I foolishly did what it wanted me to do, delete the explorer.exe when I reboot the computer. So I rebooted, only to find a completely empty screen (ex. taskbar, start menu, desktop icons, etc.) with nothing but my wallpaper. So I did the following steps to get it back and temporarily fix the virus issue (the real issue will be fixed when Zonealarm fixes there $60 product):

1. At the "blank" screen hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up the task manager

2. Click the "Applications" tab then click on the "New Task" button down on the bottom of the dialog box

3. When asked what to open, browse to your Zonealarm installation folder (C:/Program Files/Zone Labs/ZoneAlarm by default) and launch "zlclient.exe"

4. This will bring up the normal ZoneAlarm main window

5. On the side click "Anti-virus/Anti-spyware" and disable the two services

6. Now click on the "Quarantine" tab and go to the "Virus" quarantine view.

7. You will see two "viruses" named Worm.Win32.Huhk.c restore both of them (they will not harm your computer as they are false-positives)

8. Restart the computer and you should boot up normally

NOTE: These instructions assume your ZoneAlarm is set to backup and quarantine viruses (it does this by default). I was running the most current version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite when I did this.
    <hr></blockquote>

Now that was fast,easy and very quick method of fixing the problem. I like your style!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

decworm Guest

Default Deleted Worm.Win32.Hunk.c - explorer.exe from the Quarantine list...need help!!!

I have deleted explorer.exe from the quarantine list in the anti-virus/anti-spyware section.
    I do not have the start menu, and I do not have icons.
    I have to run everything through task manager.
    I have read all of the posts and no one has talked about what to do if you have deleted it from the quarantined list.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
    I have tried about everything and I can't it the system back.
    Thanks

smurxf Guest

Default Re: Deleted Worm.Win32.Hunk.c - explorer.exe from the Quarantine list...need help!!!

If you can obtain the explorer.exe file from another computer on the same build of OS, you could try to copy it back into the c:\windows directory from the recovery console. I don't know if this will sort it, but it's worth a try - in theory it should work.
    Adam

mcovalt Guest

Default Re: Deleted Worm.Win32.Hunk.c - explorer.exe from the Quarantine list...need help!!!

If you have no other computer and don't have a Windows XP cd and feeling a little bit risky, you can find it on the internet. I found explorer.exe in about five minutes.

Thread Information