Thread: apmsgfwd is trying to take over the world!!

melusine Guest

Cool apmsgfwd is trying to take over the world!!

I have just reinstalled my operating system, and have finally got Zone Alarm up and running. I keep getting this high rated alert and keep denying it as I dont know what it is. I have googled it but I am none the wiser. The meassage reads
    apmsgfwd is trying to control the keyboard input of the process c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
    For a newly installed os my laptop is running really slow, with cpu sometines at 70-80 % and 70 proccesses running. apmsgfwd is running at the top of the process list. What is it!!! Its driving me insane. I just want all the freezing and the go slows to stop. Can some kind person please put me out of my misery.
    Mel.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: apmsgfwd is trying to take over the world!!

apmsgfwd is the apmsgfwd.exe (%programfiles%\apoint), it is the ApMsgFwd from Alps Electric Co., Ltd. I think this is your Alps touch pad software of your laptop.
    There may be an issue with it's performance with Vista or the hardware.

It's at the top in the Task Manager, but what are the cpu, mem, reads for the apmsgfwd? Anything outrageous?

Your touch pad should work with out having the hardware driver/software installed from Alps. The Vista should have it's own driver to work the hardware, but without the tricks and special features. You could try uninstalling it and see what happens (just have a standard mouse for standby if the touchpad does not function anymore) or look at the alps web site and see if the software/driver has been updated.

My own Toshiba laptop (XP) originally came with many unwanted software/bloat ware - wiping the drive, installing a pure windows and then installing only the really wanted drivers and softs solved a lot of issues with performance.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

melusine Guest

Oldsod, I would love to cut down on all the system glut that hogs my laptop memory but I do not know what I can and cant get rid of. Thank you for your help with apmsg though. It was never a problem before the reinstall so will try and sort it now. :manhappy:

You reinstalled from the recovery disk (has all the drivers, windows OS and junk on one disk)?

Which make and version is this laptop? I maybe able to help.

Tried the

http://www.pcde c r a p i f i er.com/home

(sorry for the spaces, but the url will not pass the foprum filters otherwise).

Also some of the windows services can often be disabled or turned off to "lighten" the load on the CPU and mem. See blackviper for a decent guide.

Some further hardening and tweaking can be found here for a "How to secure Windows2000 / XP". Just keep a copy of the page incase you have to undo something.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-03-2008 11:28 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

melusine Guest

The laptop is a Toshiba Equium A200 15i. I used the recovery disc that came with the laptop to reinstall and it had everything on it needed to reinstall. I wil have a look at the sites you have listed and now have a folder in my favourites called Oldsod the Oracle.

The truest way to remove Toshiba bloat, this would be my preferred method. This is an event by itself and takes some time, but is well worth the effort.[*]first borrow or use a "pure" Windows Operating disk on a CD or DVD. This must be the exact version as your own, i.e. XP Home or Pro Or Media Center[*]download all of the driver for your laptop from here onto a USB stick or CD[*]download the magical jelly bean counter from here and place it on the USB[*]erase the entire drive using dban, from a CD created previously using the infra recorder to image the dban .iso file to the CD[*]use the other Windows OS to first create two equal partitions on the drive[*] format the C drive using the Windows OS[*]install the windows in the C drive[*]use the magical jelly bean to change the embedded license to the correct license found underneath your laptop after the reboot[*]install the wanted drivers and toshiba accessories[*]register or license the windows at the windows home base[*]update the windows with all available patches from windows update site[*]install the ZA and wanted files/applications

The disk erasure is used to remove all previous data more cleanly and the erasure will destroy any rootkits and troyans that could survive the format of the hard disk drive.

The second partition can be used as a recovery partition or as a storage for music, photos, video, etc. It will be seen by Windows as a "raw" section of the drive. If this for storage, this can be formatted and then named/labled in the Disk Management of the Computer Management at your leisure. If it is for disk recovery using something such as Acronis True Image or others such as here, then install/use the recovery software immediately after the initial install of the windows and needed drivers with the correct license for a future "base" or return point. The images of the recovery software can be duplicated onto an external drive and indeed many snapshots can be taken and saved for future use. This way you always can recover from a severe malware infection or major boo-boo in a matter of minutes or even save copy this to a new replacement hard disk drive if the presently used drive fails.

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-03-2008 11:50 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information