Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nsduo.dll keeps coming back

tafugate Guest

Default nsduo.dll keeps coming back

i have zass set to scan automatically weekly. and for the past several weeks, i see this message:

not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.kc
    C:\WINDOWS\nsduo.dll.vzr

where nsduo.dll is being renamed. however, each week, there it is again. this morning, i found this thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic113912.html

where someone else was having a problem with nsduo.dll reappearing. is there a za procedure for eliminating nsduo.dll, or should i go the hijackthis and smitfraudfix (never heard of it) route?

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: nsduo.dll keeps coming back

A search with google shows that Prevx claims to remove it. I use both Prevx and Prevx CSI and both run with no conflicts with ZA Anti-virus. But I couldn't tell you how well it will do at removal.

tafugate Guest

thanks for the suggestion, jd. but prevx csi found no contaminants. odd though, during the prevx scan, za popped up twice telling me nsduo.dll had been renamed to nsduo.dll.vzr and that no further action was required. which kinda assures me za security suite is doing its job. it's just not killing nsduo.dll permanently.

jdoliver Guest

Have you tried turning off system restore? The infection could be hiding in the restore files.

Hi!may be there are other tools running not allowing to perform the complete cleaning...First turn OFF system restore:How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405The try to boot you system only with ZA and standard MS services. This way:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerNow run a full scan followed by a scan by the ZA antispyware with "deep inspection scan" option.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tafugate Guest

ok, thanks to fax and jdoliver's suggestion, yesterday i turned off system restore and performed a clean boot, except with the zonealarm stuff running, of course. usually, a spyware scan only takes about 30 seconds, but with a deep scan, it took about 4 hours. interestingly, the only thing it came up with was the smitfraudfix reboot excecutable. i quarantined it anyway just to not leave any stones unturned.

so i kicked off a virus scan last night, which normally takes about an hour and a half. so i went to bed and let it do its thing, when i got up this morning, there nsduo.dll had been renamed again, and no further action was necessary.

should i leave system restore off for a bit? the last time i had a system problem (blue screen actually) was about two years ago, and i simply reinstalled windows. took about 4 hours to get everything back in order, so i prefer that than taking the risk of putting a problem back on the hard drive with a system restore.

Hi!Not sure I understand if the issue is resolved or not.Does it still always come back?Cheers,Fax

tafugate Guest

issue isn't resolved, fax, nsduo.dll just keeps showing up in the virus scans. in the case of issues like this, should we send a trouble report to zonealarm or kaspersky? i'd really like for zonealarm to resolve this for me because i've paid them so much money over the years just for this sort of issue. but i'm kinda hazy on howto go about reporting it to them.

Hi!yes, of course you should report to them!Start with ZA technical support here: www.zonealarm.com/tsform And explain waht you did up to now to remove the infection.Please come back to here to report how you managed to clean the infection (if you managed ).We will all benefit from the feedback....Cheers,Fax

tafugate Guest

i did as you suggested and sent a description of my problem using tsform. kinda confusing using that for a virus problem. it seems more tuned for technical issues with the program. the kaspersky site actually has a facility for reporting viruses (virii?). i will pass along any monumental discoveries. (8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information