Thread: Problems started with Win32/Mypics worm that ZoneAlarm couldn't treat -- suggestions?

trekkie Guest

Default Problems started with Win32/Mypics worm that ZoneAlarm couldn't treat -- suggestions?

SYSTEM PROPERTIES
    Windows ME - Dell desktop
    Browser: IE 6.0.2800.1106
    Main security: ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.1.744/001 [with firewall, antivirus,antispy scanners/removers]

Others used as needed: Bazooka, Spybot,AVG 7.5 version, Ad-Aware

Problem --

A few issues (Win32/Mypics worm; Mshtml.dll error; Virtual C+ Runtime error) started last week, beginning with Zone's detection of Win32/Mypics virus. Advice from you technical experts is welcome (like, how do I fix the
    Mshtml.dll error?).

Details: 1)

ZoneAlarm reported twice it found but couldn't treat Win32/Mypics virus. I
    ran Bazooka; shut WinME's System Restore, did a full error check (no errors); ran AVG -- found nothing. Spybot fixed some sytem problems. Reran ZoneAlarm a couple of times and didn't get the Win32/Mypics detection so far.

2)Then while working
    on the writers'
    website www.brijit.com, I suddenly get an MicroSoft error that my PC is sending an Error Report to MS and browser will close. Details say it's error Mshtml.dll.
    MS' site only has info for IE6 browser version 6.0.2600, but not for my version of IE.
    (I can't upgrade my PC to IE7.) MicroSoft rep couldn't help. Oddly, this Mshtml.dll error only happens on www.brijit.com. I have to keep opening browser after it closes to use
    the website.

Last night I starting getting Virtual C+Run errors, shut off PC, did an error check. Today the mshtml.dll error reappeared while on brijit.com.

Any thoughts on fixing things?
    Manually removing the virus if it still might be resident?

Should I uninstall my current IE 6.0.2800.1106 browser then reinstall it? If I copy the IE6 setup application in my Program file, do I use that to reinstall?

Thank you, thank you for your thoughts.
    Trekkie

Operating System:Windows ME
    Software Version:6.1
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Problems started with Win32/Mypics worm that ZoneAlarm couldn't treat -- suggestions?

<blockquote><hr>Trekkie wrote:
    SYSTEM PROPERTIES
    Windows ME - Dell desktop
    Browser: IE 6.0.2800.1106
    Main security: ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.1.744/001 [with firewall, antivirus,antispy scanners/removers]

Others used as needed: Bazooka, Spybot,AVG 7.5 version, Ad-Aware

Problem --

A few issues (Win32/Mypics worm; Mshtml.dll error; Virtual C+ Runtime error) started last week, beginning with Zone's detection of Win32/Mypics virus. Advice from you technical experts is welcome (like, how do I fix the Mshtml.dll error?).

Details: 1)

ZoneAlarm reported twice it found but couldn't treat Win32/Mypics virus. I ran Bazooka; shut WinME's System Restore, did a full error check (no errors); ran AVG -- found nothing. Spybot fixed some sytem problems. Reran ZoneAlarm a couple of times and didn't get the Win32/Mypics detection so far.

2)Then while working on the writers' website www.brijit.com, I suddenly get an MicroSoft error that my PC is sending an Error Report to MS and browser will close. Details say it's error Mshtml.dll. MS' site only has info for IE6 browser version 6.0.2600, but not for my version of IE. (I can't upgrade my PC to IE7.) MicroSoft rep couldn't help. Oddly, this Mshtml.dll error only happens on www.brijit.com. I have to keep opening browser after it closes to use the website.

Last night I starting getting Virtual C+Run errors, shut off PC, did an error check. Today the mshtml.dll error reappeared while on brijit.com.

Any thoughts on fixing things? Manually removing the virus if it still might be resident?

Should I uninstall my current IE 6.0.2800.1106 browser then reinstall it? If I copy the IE6 setup application in my Program file, do I use that to reinstall?

Thank you, thank you for your thoughts.Trekkie

Operating System: Windows ME
    Software Version: 6.1
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Hi Trekkie,

My suggestion would be to run hijackthis and post your log to CastleCops and let their malware experts work through all the issues with you.

Here is a link to Castlecops guidelines for posting HJT logs:
    http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.html

Also see CastleCops Malware Removal and Prevention Guide here:
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction

Hope this helps you,
    Findley

trekkie Guest

Default Re: Problems started with Win32/Mypics worm that ZoneAlarm couldn't treat -- suggestions?

Hi Findley,

Thanks very much for your quick response, which is so helpful.
    I ran
    new scanners that I got from your links and will be posting

log on CastleCops.

All the best,

Trekkie
    Castlecops guidelines for posting HJT logs:
    http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.html

CastleCops Malware Removal and Prevention Guide:
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction

findley Guest

Hi Trekkie,

You are welcome

Best regards,
    Findley

Thread Information