Thread: Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen virus on my system that Zonealarm cannot clean up -- Help

Hybrid View

dittywop Guest

Default Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen virus on my system that Zonealarm cannot clean up -- Help

Running Windows XP Home EditionZoneAlarm Security Suite Version 7.0.470.000
    Paths where the virus has been detected are:C:\Windows\System32\cbxxwyv.dllC:\Windows\Syst em32\mljjj.dll
    Need help getting rid of this.
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen virus on my system that Zonealarm cannot clean up -- Help

<blockquote><hr>dittywop wrote:
    Paths where the virus has been detected are:C:\Windows\System32\cbxxwyv.dllC:\Windows\Syst em32\mljjj.dll
    Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>
    Start the PC in Safe Mode.

Open the Run and type in regedit and OK.
    In the registry, open the Edit and click the Find.
    In the Find what bar, type in the first item as cbxxwyv.dll and click the Find Next button. Delete the first item found (in the right panel, not the left panel), and then press the F3 key of the keyboard to Find Next item and keep deleting until all are found and deleted.
    Repeat for the mljjj.dll

Note: if the registry says you do not have permission to delete or to that effect, then right click the Main key in the left panel and open the Permissions. Check the Full Control box under the Allow column and then Apply and OK. Now delete the key in the right panel.

Once the registry is edited and the two .dlls are completely removed from the registry, reboot again back into the safe mode. Next, open the system32 folder in the windows folder delete the two .dlls and empty the Recycle Bin. Now reboot into the Normal mode. Job is done.

Note: If the files cannot be seen, then Show Hidden files must be first enabled.
    This option must be used before attempting to view the files since a reboot is needed for the change to take effect....
    To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
    Open the Control Panel.
    Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    Select Appearance and Themes.
    Select Folder Options.
    After the new window appears select the View tab.
    Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

findley Guest

Default Re: Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen virus on my system that Zonealarm cannot clean up -- Help

<blockquote><hr>dittywop wrote:
    Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>dittywop,
    Have you been running the scan in
    Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite in safe mode?
    Only works with Safe mode with Networking so if you have not done that you could give that a try.
    If you have already run ZAISS scanning in safe mode, have you tried running an online scanner or two?
    http://www.housecall.trendmicro.com
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    Two on-demand scanners which can be downloaded and run are:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    If you decide to download the on-demand scanners be sure to update the definitions before you run them.
    Another option:
    download HijackThis from www.trendmicro.com and then post your HJT log to www.castlecops.com or www.bleepingcomputer.com and let their malware experts work with you to clean up the malware on your computer.
    Regards,Findley

findley Guest

Sorry Oldsod, I guess we were typing at the same time
    Best regards,Findley

Not a problem Mr. Findley.
    We posted at the same time and that is a rare thing.
    Guess that makes us very good friends now.

I like it when there are others participating in the same thread - it does not matter if the replies are a contrast or an affirmation to one of mine or theirs.
    I like the wide range of answers and advice.
    Sometime is can be debated or checked out.

Besides which, nobody is perfect and has always the right answers - Gurus are just human after all and make lots of mistakes.
    The variety of responses is always good.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

findley Guest

Oldsod,

Yes, good friends
    I too like the differing approaches to solving problems and multiple users participating in threads.
    It makes for a great forum and this is a great forum!

I enjoy the contrast of divergent opinions - there is always more than one way to solve a problem and looking at someone else's approach can be educational.
    The range of advice here is what makes this an excellent place to get answers as well as to learn.
    The current Off Topic XP SP3 thread is a good example of passing along information and that's helpful to everybody who reads and/or participates in this forum.
    Very good stuff.
    Best Regards,Findley

<blockquote><hr>Findley wrote:
    Oldsod,

Yes, good friends
    I too like the differing approaches to solving problems and multiple users participating in threads.
    It makes for a great forum and this is a great forum!

I enjoy the contrast of divergent opinions - there is always more than one way to solve a problem and looking at someone else's approach can be educational.
    The range of advice here is what makes this an excellent place to get answers as well as to learn.
    The current Off Topic XP SP3 thread is a good example of passing along information and that's helpful to everybody who reads and/or participates in this forum.
    Very good stuff.
    Best Regards,Findley
    <hr></blockquote>

I usually learn something new everyday here - whether it is technical or otherwise. Learning new things never stops!

Good and friendly people are found in this forum.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information