Thread: What is "not-a-virus: Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.621"?

fantasylover Guest

Default What is "not-a-virus: Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.621"?

How to stop ZAISS 7.0 from quarantining mIRC as a virus? What is this new threat that falsely ID's mIRC as a viral threat?

Default Re: What is "not-a-virus: Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.621"?

Hi!yes, this is specific to the KAV engine. mIRC is classified as "not a virus..".See same discussion at kaspersky forum:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=31489You can just add it to the exclusion list. "Not a virus...." are not malware per se but applications that can be used to spread malware. This is why they are flagged as such ("not a virus"). You can exclude the detection of ALL "not a virus" by unchecking "enable extended databases" in advanced options of the "Antivirus/Antispyware" Tab.Please see here about the KAV extended antivirus database:http://www.kaspersky.com/avupdatesCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

theraid Guest

are u sure? what if a virus flags itself as a "not-a-virus"?

Hi!if it has been flagged as "client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.621" it means that the AV signature matchthat specific 'exe', if a malware was to modify that 'exe', it wouldnot be flagged by the AV as "not a virus..." anymore.It is almost impossible (but theoretically conceivable) to design a malware to match a certain "not a virus" but then AV vendors will update their bases to detect that specific malware...Hope this clarifies.Fax

tim_t Guest

There's one tiny flaw to your idea: Zone Alarm Security Suite NEVER, EVER, EVER remembers what has been excluded or not. I have the exact same problem and I am getting sick to death of ZA flagging it as "not a virus", asking to repair, quarantine, delete the **bleep** thing. When using Mirc, it has often been flagged 10 times in less than a minute. And no matter how many times I ask it to "ignore once" or "ignore always", it NEVER remembers.

version: ZAS 7.0.337.000

empottasch Guest

having the same thing today. First did this windows update and my internet access was blocked. Followed instructions and removed the lataest update and internet works again (with ZA on). But now mIRC does not work. Try to install it again but when I install ZA pops up with a with quarantining this "not-a-virus: Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.632" thingy. As instructed I go to IM security and remove the block for IRC. Doesn't help. Wishing I never left McAfee .... **bleep** this

riceorony Guest

I believe before you judge a program, you should first learn how to use it properly.

If you go to your anti-virus/antispyware tab in ZA, you can select Advanced Options and another box will pop up.
    Under virus management you can select "Exceptions" to make sure the file is there. Otherwise next time it is detected, simply select "Ignore always"

I'm assuming you're using mIRC for chatting during online game play? (CS, WoW, etc.?)

If you set it to ALWAYS IGNORE then you will no longer be prompted for it.

ZA-ISS is 1,000,000,000 times better then McAfee, but the drawback is you have to be a bit more patient with the program because it generates more prompts. Since ZA uses Kaspersky's database and scanning engines, you are receiving the #1 best antivirus scanner/definition as determined by 3rd party independent testers. McAfee is a distant 6th behind other vendors.

crazychicken Guest

hi, i just installed security suite licensed and it picked this up, im unclear, is it a virus or not? i have mirc installed albeit a cracked version

Hi!I don't know if that 'modified' version can be a thread.See here below for a general explanation on one version:http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/...?virusid=63181Cheers,Fax

Thread Information