Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trojan horse turned off Zone Alarm

confusediam Guest

Default Trojan horse turned off Zone Alarm

I was going about my daily business yesterday when
    IE froze. I
    then got a message to say Zone Alarm firewall was off and then Windows automatic updates was also turned off. It wasn't me!! AVG then told me I had a trojan horse and it's been causing alot of problems. I did a virus check and it found 3 trojan horses which it shoved in the vault, but it found some this morning, too and I had to click on repair because I got a message about it ruining a system file if I vaulted it. I keep trying to turn automatic updates back on but it won't let me and I can't find any reference to Zone Alarm in the list of programmes, although the folder is in windows explorer. I tried to download a later version of ZA and got the following message.
    'Setup is unable to log in to the True Vector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TVS.
    Please use the
    service manager to shut down the TVS and then continue with the install'.
    I am very worried about the damage this is doing to my pc and way out of my depth. Sometimes when I reboot all my program icons disappear and pressing the start button doesn't do anything. I don't know anything about system files and don't mess with them and I don't
    visit dodgy sites or download anything so it's not fair! Is there any hope?!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

findley Guest

Default Re: Trojan horse turned off Zone Alarm

<blockquote><hr>confusediam wrote:
    I was going about my daily business yesterday when
    IE froze. I
    then got a message to say Zone Alarm firewall was off and then Windows automatic updates was also turned off. It wasn't me!! AVG then told me I had a trojan horse and it's been causing alot of problems. I did a virus check and it found 3 trojan horses which it shoved in the vault, but it found some this morning, too and I had to click on repair because I got a message about it ruining a system file if I vaulted it. I keep trying to turn automatic updates back on but it won't let me and I can't find any reference to Zone Alarm in the list of programmes, although the folder is in windows explorer. I tried to download a later version of ZA and got the following message.
    'Setup is unable to log in to the True Vector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TVS.
    Please use the
    service manager to shut down the TVS and then continue with the install'.
    I am very worried about the damage this is doing to my pc and way out of my depth. Sometimes when I reboot all my program icons disappear and pressing the start button doesn't do anything. I don't know anything about system files and don't mess with them and I don't
    visit dodgy sites or download anything so it's not fair! Is there any hope?!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>confusediam,
    There's always hope
    My suggestion to you is to work with the malware experts at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
    and let them work with you and walk you through running various tools to remove the malware and cleanup your computer.
    I suggest you start by registering for an account on bleepingcomputer - it's free and then post in the Am I infected forum
    where a volunteer malware expert will walk you through running various tools and providing written step by step instructions.
    Good luck and regards:8}Findley

Quite possible the AVG disabled the ZA files and probably it was not the troyan disabling the ZA.
    The ZA is bullet proof from troyan and malware attacks - basically it is impervious to these
    attacks.

The lack of information and details not provided by you makes it difficult to give any reasonable answer.
    Findley is steering you in the right direction to get help.
    Do so.

But you will probably will have to update your AVG before re-installing the ZA - just recently the AVG attacked all ZoneAlarms, besides attacking vital window files.
    All of these were false detections by the AVG scanners using incorrect definition files.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

confusediam Guest

I uninstalled AVG and tried to download a newer version but it wouldn t work. I tried the same with Zone Alarm, but that wouldn t work either. In desperation I tried downloading a trial version of McAfee suite and that worked. It told me that I had a Trojan called Generic Artemis in C:\windows\system32\FEXTMZ.DLL but it couldn t remove it. I can see the file in windows explorer but don t want to delete it if it s going to do further damage. Do you know what it is?

Now it keeps closing my browser window down after a few seconds.

findley Guest

Here's an example of someone working with the malware removal experts at bleepingcomputer

Infected with generic artemis
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic183950.html

Here's an example of someone working with the malware removal experts at AumHa Forums

Generic artemis
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php...;sk=t&amp;sd=a

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Artemis

confusediam,As Oldsod has mentioned - AVG recently had a problem where it knocked out ZA firewalls and disrupted internet connections. Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=20064#M20064
    and here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=47913#M19440
    What version of AVG did you have ? 7.5 or 8.0 ? Exactly which AVG product - av, suite, etc.? Any AVG 7.5 anti-spyware?
    Do you remember the exact 3 names of detections by AVG? If you could list them we can find out more.<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 01-01-2009 07:22 PM

confusediam Guest

Thank you Findley.:8}

confusediam Guest

Default Re: McAfee Artemis

Hi, I've never had McAfee before and had ZA &amp; AVG for a couple of years with no problems. It was the AVG free product, can't remember what version, sorry. I can't remember what AVG said the trojan was, it was McAfee that gave me the name and location of it. From speaking to someone else about this the general opinion seems to be that it's a 'false
    positive'. Not very helpful for people like me who believe everything their anti-virus software tells them because they don't know any different! So McAfee seems to be reporting a false positive, too but I still can't turn on automatic updates. X-(
    So if this was AVG's problem in the first place, could they not just send a fix and stop wasting everybody's time or is it a plot to get people to buy the better version rather than use the free one? Confused and susicious now! B-)

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>confusediam wrote:
    Thank you Findley.:8}
    <hr></blockquote>
    confusediam,
    You are welcome:8}
    Some
    freebies to use as on-demand scanners, if you do not already deploy them:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    http://www.freedrweb.com/
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Just download, keep them updated and run them periodically to ensure that your computer is malware free - no one piece of security software is foolproof.
    Findley

confusediam Guest

Thanks, I've made a note of those for future reference.
    I managed to get a computer expert friend of my dad in to have a look yesterday. After telling him all of the information I had gathered here he spent a few hours sorting it out, getting back AVG &amp; Zone Alarm &amp; automatic updates, so thanks everyone you have been very helpful. :8} It would have taken me alot longer than four hours, but I'd probably already spent that amount of time trying to find the answers and reinstalling the software only for it to give me error messages I didn't understand. :robotindifferent:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information