Thread: Why doesn't ZoneAlarm recognize a lot of Malware?

medreadsmalware Guest

Default Why doesn't ZoneAlarm recognize a lot of Malware?

I recently found out the hard way that my McAfee Security Software and Firewall had shortcomings - and remembering how much I'd liked Zone Alarm on my last computer, decided to switch over to Zone Alarm - unfortunately AFTER my teenage son visited an itunes ad web site that infected our computer with malware.

After installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite, I ran an ultra-deep virus and anti-spyware scan, and although Zone Alarm cleaned up some of my problems - I immediately continued to experience unprompted browser windows opening with ad sites AND clips of music, tv shows, or commercials suddenly playing when no programs were running. The 'sounds' would play even if I wasn't connected to the internet.

After a few days of searching the net for someone else with a similar problem - I came across a FREE malware removal solution that (knock on wood) recognized and deleted 11 problem files. I'm now at 3 days with no problems (knock on wood). My question is - if ZoneAlarm doesn't recognize malware to be able to remove it - will Zone Alarm recognize malware to stop it?

Thanks for the info.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Why doesn't ZoneAlarm recognize a lot of Malware?

Hi!no software can recognise 100% of malware out there. ZASS uses Kaspersky antivirus engine, one the best on the market today. Detections could be related to dead left overs or low impact files. Care should be taken in reporting about malware not detected in order to distinguish between active and inactive threads.Be careful on selecting the right tool for cleaning your machine, there are a LOT of rouge software out there.See here below a standard procedure to clean your system:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information