Thread: Unknown & Mysterious virus Found

buggie Guest

Default Unknown & Mysterious virus Found

Hi there,

I have the last version of Zone Alarm Security Suite with the latest definitions.

Today during my scheduled scan a virus was detected (the antivirus found it not the spyware)it's named "Trojan.Win32.Genome.fuq". It was found in an old program that I have (unitconverter.exe).

I decided that I needed to know more about this virus behavior and pressed the "more information" link which took me online to the ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Research Center. The only information provided at the page was:

"There are no matching records for Trojan.Win32.Genome.fuq. Please try your search again."

Now, I wonder how the antivirus found and quarantined a virus that has no records at all. I even searched it's name on Google with no luck. What's going on, this is quite weird because the virus was rated by the software as high risk...

Anyone knows anything about these? Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re:Trojan.Win32.Genome.fuq- unitconverter.exe

Actually the name of 'virus'/ 'suspected' malware may not be as important as the file in question. Security companies need to name 'all of the new unknown - suspected malware' and they take &quot;creative privaleges&quot; - there is no 'real' standard names, each security company usually have different names/ alias/ aka - some are known to each other, some not.<hr>Anyhow, what your really need to look at is the file name in question - unitconverter.exe - according to prevx - click here &gt; http://www.prevx.com/filenames/12008...RTER2EEXE.html
    &lt; suspect.<hr>Whatever it is, if your not using the program - bottom line you can either let the quarantine or un-install that old software.<hr>If you wish you can search further for - unitconverter.exe - and remember there are such things as 'false positives' or 'false assumptions' by security software - they do occur every now and then amongst all companies.<hr>Another thought - if you google to download this 'program/ software'(or any other)
    - depending on &quot;which&quot; site/ third-party site you use; a third-party site can send the legitimate software with &quot; a little extra - hidden malware/ adware, trojan, etc.&quot; That why it's important to have some sort of anti-phishing toolbar/ software, like McAfee SiteAdvisor, LinkScanner, etc. when using search engines.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-07-2009 01:29 AM

buggie Guest

Default Re: Re:Trojan.Win32.Genome.fuq- unitconverter.exe

I d no idea about the names. I ll delete the unit converter (converts volume, distance, temperature, etc.), actually there are better converters online.

I searched variations like: Trojan.Win32.Genome and trojan.Win32 and found out that like you said there are some false positives around. It seems that whatever it is probably has some behavior similarity to a trojan.Win32.

By the way, while searching I just found my own post already on Google, boy are they fast! Your reply was very helpful, thanks

Thread Information