Thread: All anti-spyware websites blocked!!

shortbuskid Guest

Default All anti-spyware websites blocked!!

Got something new for me today. Got a PC from a Big Box retailer. Had to settle for the display model and all was fine until I tried to download spybotSD and install a few of my other anti spyware/malware programs. I could not even connect to eh SpyBot website. I installed ZoneAlarm but it can't connect to the update server. Thought that may have been localized to that software, so I tried the evaluation copy of AVG and **bleep** with the same results. Tried downloading malwarebytes and had the same result as with the spybot. Couldn't connect to the malwarebytes site. Kept telling me that it couldn't establish a connection to the server. Like it was down...but went to my other PC and loaded it up fine. Restarted the infected pc in safe mode and ran malwarebytes, it found 9 itmes it never found in regular vista, but still won't update or connect to the sites. I downloaded the malwarebytes update to my other pc, transferred it, installed and ran it again but it hasn't located anything yet. You guys have any idea? For some reason ZoneAlarm won't open up in my safe mode...weird.

Mikey

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: All anti-spyware websites blocked!!

<blockquote><hr>shortbuskid wrote:
    Got something new for me today. Got a PC from a Big Box retailer. Had to settle for the display model and all was fine until I tried to download spybotSD and install a few of my other anti spyware/malware programs. I could not even connect to eh SpyBot website. I installed ZoneAlarm but it can't connect to the update server. Thought that may have been localized to that software, so I tried the evaluation copy of AVG and **bleep** with the same results. Tried downloading malwarebytes and had the same result as with the spybot. Couldn't connect to the malwarebytes site. Kept telling me that it couldn't establish a connection to the server. Like it was down...but went to my other PC and loaded it up fine. Restarted the infected pc in safe mode and ran malwarebytes, it found 9 itmes it never found in regular vista, but still won't update or connect to the sites. I downloaded the malwarebytes update to my other pc, transferred it, installed and ran it again but it hasn't located anything yet. You guys have any idea? For some reason ZoneAlarm won't open up in my safe mode...weird.

Mikey

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>
    Often the malware edits the windows host file to block off security sites - all the good ones.
    This may explain why the sites were unreachable.
    Open the windows host file and restore it to the original if this happened.

Also often troyans and malware will inject into the winsock of windows and this enables them to block sites using a built in list. Again security sites and vendors will be blocked.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shortbuskid Guest

Forgive my lack of tech on this one..but explain the &quot;windows host&quot; and restoring it....

It is this file found in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC folder.
    (open with notepad.exe to read it).

It should look like the file in this .zip (this is the original file to use which is why I linked the direct download) :

http://hosts-file.net/download/WinDef_Hosts.zip

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

shortbuskid Guest

I have replaced it with the mvp list with no success, then replaced it again with the one from your link. Still, my computer cannot connect to malwarebytes.org or several windows update locations. It will read a page fine but when I go to download it tells me it can't find the host. But I can download from my other computer fine. Also, I get this message when trying to install AVG: &quot;Error: Action failed for registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions:{3f963a5b-e555-4543-90e2-c3908898db71}: creating registry value....
    Error 0x80070005 &quot;

I read on another forum how to reset the system's settings to correct this by downloading subinacl.msi...but it didn't help. Funny thing...that is also one of the files my computer says I can't download. This was a clever little bugger....And any scans I run now come up clean. Even when ran in safe mode...except zone alarm which never fully loads in window's safe mode. Maybe I need to run a HJT log on it. I'm just far to illiterate to understand it.

Mikey

{3f963a5b-e555-4543-90e2-c3908898db71} is just for the AVG addon to the Firefox - it does seem there are issues with the Firefo, so probably this is not related to the malware.

' subinacl.msi' reset the system settings?
    What settings are you trying to reset?

Do this before posting a HJT Log:

go to this site and with another computer make this scanner for a live scan of your computer:
    http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/

another live scan (rescue disk actually but it will scan and clean too) is here:

http://www.avira.com/en/company_news/rescue_cd_.html

see what they find and remove.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information