Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm Asks To Allow A Different IP Address Every Time Open IE

nickwizard Guest

Default Zone Alarm Asks To Allow A Different IP Address Every Time Open IE

I have been using Z.A. now for some time. Previously, I have had no problems opening Internet Explorer. However, now Zone Alarm Asks To Allow Access
    For A Different IP Address Every Time I Open IE. Is this indicative of sometime of malware that's trying to gain access to my PC or a hole in security that someone can use to access my PC? I have noticed no other changes.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

nickwizard Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Asks To Allow A Different IP Address Every Time Open IE

PS - I should add that those different IP addresses are
    NOT Microsoft IP addresses, but rather for sites/companies like:- NTT America- Teleglobe

subbing to Akamai- Rackspace.com- Google

<blockquote><hr>NickWizard wrote:
    I have been using Z.A. now for some time. Previously, I have had no problems opening Internet Explorer. However, now Zone Alarm Asks To Allow Access
    For A Different IP Address Every Time I Open IE. Is this indicative of sometime of malware that's trying to gain access to my PC or a hole in security that someone can use to access my PC? I have noticed no other changes.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    5.x
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

The internet access permission for the IE in the program list is set to ask or allow?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nickwizard Guest

Oldsod
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have just now changed the Access setting to Allow for IE - it had been Allow before and I did not change the Allow status to Ask, so I'm puzzled how that change occurred.
    In addition, I'm still concerned about what I noted in my 2nd msg, namely, that when I started IE, according to Zone Alarm, that was allowing all sorts of seemingly random IP addresses to gain access to my PC - IPs for Google, Rackspace.com, TeleGlobe/Akamai, NTT America - one random IP per IE start. I'd like to know what's going on, but I'd be satisfied knowing that this symptom is not a known security problem.
    Thanks!!!

PS - I should add that those different IP addresses are
    NOT Microsoft IP addresses, but rather for sites/companies like:- NTT America- Teleglobe

subbing to Akamai- Rackspace.com- Google

<hr></blockquote>

The first of the group are often cached servers and mirror servers for content delivery (i.e. akamai is a cached server for Microsoft and many other comanies and so are many others depending on your location on the globe).
    Plus these others are correct internet providers and legitimate companies

Google, I am guessing, is due to either there is a google toolbar installed in the IE or google is used as one of the search engines. Not to mention there is google for ads in many search results and web pages.

More specific IPs listed would be more helpful in determining an opinion.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Oldsod
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have just now changed the Access setting to Allow for IE - it had been Allow before and I did not change the Allow status to Ask, so I'm puzzled how that change occurred.
    In addition, I'm still concerned about what I noted in my 2nd msg, namely, that when I started IE, according to Zone Alarm, that was allowing all sorts of seemingly random IP addresses to gain access to my PC - IPs for Google, Rackspace.com, TeleGlobe/Akamai, NTT America - one random IP per IE start. I'd like to know what's going on, but I'd be satisfied knowing that this symptom is not a known security problem.
    Thanks!!!
    <hr></blockquote>

These IPs are usually normal and not unusual according to the web sites and your location of the globe and the distribution servers of the 'net.
    One does not neccessarily get a direct connection to any specific server and is often re-directed to the cached servers for the web content.
    Hence a web page or download could be arriving from several sources even though one specific web site was contacted. Ads and banners and flash and even images and bodies could be all sent from different servers (and using different IPs) to create either the web page (or even the download).

The days of when you connected to site A and only site A was involved are gone - today it is contact site A and get everything from every where else.
    PHP used for sites do this as well as the the PHP does easily create a 'revolving' content that can change at any given moment for that site. Again each of the components of the site could be drawn from several different sites.

You will often see trackers and site counters included in the logs when connecting to a site, and the site counters and trackers can come from many places, not just the site which is directly involved.
    Although many sites and counters only do originate from that contacted site and may never appear in the IP connected logs of the firewall.
    The same applies to web bugs and third party cookies - the sites involved for these will be connected to by the browser and then seen in the ZA's logs.

But the files for the trackers and counters involved will be seen in the source of the page and in the files stored in the browser's own cache.
    The same applies for the images and other content - often the originating site is seen in the properties of the image or content as well in the browser cache.

But only after closely examing the logs could I give a firm answer as to what and where and why the sites are connected to by your IE browser.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nickwizard Guest

Oldsod
    Thank you so much! You have answered my question completely and allayed my concerns - it's greatly appreciated.

nickwizard Guest

Again, thanks for a very complete and satisfying response.

Oldsod
    Thank you so much! You have answered my question completely and allayed my concerns - it's greatly appreciated.
    <hr></blockquote>

If you wish to, post a list of the IPs involved and we will trace these down as to where and what. Then the conclusions will be more definite.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nickwizard Guest

Talk about going above and beyond ...
    thanks!The IP #s I have are:
    72.32.179.130 (twice)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information