Thread: YIKES - is ZA infected???

yellowcrown Guest

Default YIKES - is ZA infected???

A couple of days ago performing a routine reboot (XP Pro) it took 15 minutes for the PC to come up. Many of the normal processes did not start. The PC has remained this way until today. Two other PC's joined this syndrome and full system scans with McAfee and **bleep** came up clean.

I installed a fresh OS on a new drive on one of the PC's and all looked OK for a while. One of the first things I always install is Zonealarm (free). During one of the routine reboots while installing software the new OS started doing the same thing. Disabling and then re-enabling all the non-MS services and startup programs the only one that had a problem was True Internet Vector. It would not re-enable but the PC now booted normally. I removed Zonealarm from the other two PC's and they too are now booting normally.

I find it unbelievable that Checkpoint has a virus or rootkit in their ZA software but my PC's are now functioning properly. Has anyone else experienced this and is there an infected True Internet vector module??? Very scary.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

samiam Guest

Default Re: YIKES - is ZA infected???

i am having continual problems which zonealarm claims to address but does not.
    i am not saying its ZA, only that this is very confusing. with a little searching i learned i have to find things in the registry, or track back to where za says they live, disable the system restore, do it again, and put system restore back.

i am sure i have gotten the instructions mixed up here, but my point was and remains, shouldnt ZA get rid of a trojan and not keep reloading it?
    and, is this evidence of the issue you mention?
    can i skip the M$ malicious software removal tool, which i think is putting its own?
    i've been using ZA for a long time, just recently all h**** broke loose w these things.
    are any of the so-called "free" malware offers useful? even the ones supposedly supported by their brand names, scan and say, ok, now pay $ and we can fix them.
    why would i believe that if they have already lied. not technically of course, after all, they did scan, maybe, and never said they woould do anything else.
    ohh its a wicked world.

<blockquote><hr>yellowcrown wrote:
    A couple of days ago performing a routine reboot (XP Pro) it took 15 minutes for the PC to come up. Many of the normal processes did not start. The PC has remained this way until today. Two other PC's joined this syndrome and full system scans with McAfee and **bleep** came up clean.

I installed a fresh OS on a new drive on one of the PC's and all looked OK for a while. One of the first things I always install is Zonealarm (free). During one of the routine reboots while installing software the new OS started doing the same thing. Disabling and then re-enabling all the non-MS services and startup programs the only one that had a problem was True Internet Vector. It would not re-enable but the PC now booted normally. I removed Zonealarm from the other two PC's and they too are now booting normally.

I find it unbelievable that Checkpoint has a virus or rootkit in their ZA software but my PC's are now functioning properly. Has anyone else experienced this and is there an infected True Internet vector module??? Very scary.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

Hi!see here for the standard procedure to clean your system.If everything fails post the hijack log at bleepingcomputer.com as suggested.http://forum.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

yellowcrown Guest

So let's see...

ZA free is what I'm having problems with and you're suggesting a virus scan using the full ZA suite. Can some &quot;guru&quot; simply verify whether there is or is not a problem with True Internet Vector? I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. If there is an issue what is the fix? And what's the story with the &quot;bleep&quot;??? Do you have something going with **bleep** (AKA, the bleep)?

Or are you replying to samiam's post and not mine?

Hi!not sure I follow, have you cleaned your system from the virus?Yes, you are using ZAfree, did you follow the other suggestions?TrueVector Internet monitor is not a virus but a component of ZA.**Bleep is an automated forum features implemented due to abuse by posters like ... "... ZA is **bleep** use **bleep*". Of course, sometimes legitimate posts are also bleeped.It help us to concentrate on helping users rather than cleaning the forum from useless posts.Finally note that ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users helping each other.Cheers,Fax

yellowcrown Guest

I have eliminated the symptom, the 15 minute boot, by removing Zonealarm. I discovered True Internet Vector as the possible problem by process of elimination using msconfig on one of the effected PC's. On the other PC's I simply removed ZA and they too started working properly. Whether or not these PC's are still infected is currently unknown. **bleep** is clean on all of them and I'm running Dr.Web on one of them now.

My question is still unanswered though. Is the True Internet Vector component ZA infected or in some other way causing a problem? One other note, my wife's PC running Vista seems unaffected. --Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>yellowcrown wrote:
    Is the True Internet Vector component ZA infected or in some other way causing a problem?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It could be infected if your Antivirus did not manage to protect the PC.Or it could be simply been corrupted by the malware thus causing the system problems.Ot it could be that the ZA settings were corrupted causing the problem to the TrueVector.Settings may be corrupted by the virus.. or just because your system crashed or closed badly.Really impossible to say.... Cheers,Fax

Thread Information