Thread: Found (Win32.Trojan.CWS.51) durind a scan?

mjpro Guest

Default Found (Win32.Trojan.CWS.51) durind a scan?

I ran a virus and spyware scan (ZASS 7.1)
    while in safe mode with networking and found a spyware on my computer;
    (Win32.Trojan.CWS.51) located at File:C:\WINDOWS\$NtUnistallKB896358_0$\hh.exe.I wanted to know if there is any information available for this spyware.I deleted it and ran another scan in normal boot mode and found it again (Win32.Trojan.Agent.CWS.51) in a system restore
    location; File:C:\SystemVolumeInformation\_restore........I turned off system restore, rebooted in normal mode and ran another scan in normal boot mode and it was gone.Is there any thing else I should know about this spyware or do concerning it.
    I searched the net and only a few hits came up for it and they were not very useful.
    I would appreciate any information,
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Found (Win32.Trojan.CWS.51) durind a scan?

<blockquote><hr>mjpro wrote:
    I ran a virus and spyware scan (ZASS 7.1)
    while in safe mode with networking and found a spyware on my computer;
    (Win32.Trojan.CWS.51) located at File:C:\WINDOWS\$NtUnistallKB896358_0$\hh.exe.I wanted to know if there is any information available for this spyware.I deleted it and ran another scan in normal boot mode and found it again (Win32.Trojan.Agent.CWS.51) in a system restore
    location; File:C:\SystemVolumeInformation\_restore........I turned off system restore, rebooted in normal mode and ran another scan in normal boot mode and it was gone.Is there any thing else I should know about this spyware or do concerning it.
    I searched the net and only a few hits came up for it and they were not very useful.
    I would appreciate any information,
    Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Guessing this was a helper for the MS's KB file.
    It may have been okay.
    Removing it does not really affect windows anyways, so the deleted file is no loss.

You could run CCleaner and remove the extra "Hotfix Uninstallers" and remove these probably 'not needed anymore' files. This is found in the Optional settings for Advanced in Windows - in the CCleaner.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mjpro Guest

I thought that it might have been a part of the Hot Fix but I had scanned before and it never showed up.There is so little info about this file that I also thought it might not mean anything but I did find it on a list of definitions for one of the scanner makers which told me it
    could be real. I have sent an email to Zone Alarm explaining the file and I will post again when I get a response.
    Thanks for the
    information,
    mjpro

<blockquote><hr>mjpro wrote:
    I thought that it might have been a part of the Hot Fix but I had scanned before and it never showed up.There is so little info about this file that I also thought it might not mean anything but I did find it on a list of definitions for one of the scanner makers which told me it
    could be real. I have sent an email to Zone Alarm explaining the file and I will post again when I get a response.
    Thanks for the
    information,
    mjpro

<hr></blockquote>

You did the right thing anyways, regardless if it was safe or malicious.
    The file is gone now, but you could have uploaded a copy of the file to jottis or virustotal and received confimations by their multi-scan endines.

And getting some second opinions as to whether or not the file was completely clean or not.

You may consider some online scanners from other antivirus vendors to confirm if the computer is completely clean. Just to be sure.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information