Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security

benedict Guest

Default Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security

I currently have the Extreme trial version which is so awesome
    and
    Im about to purchase the real
    product soon.
    I have also downloaded the PC Tune Up software than comes with the package since i wanna try it before
    the purchase.
    For some reason tho, after my tune up today, ZA recognized
    PC Tune UP
    as a virus called

Packed.Win32.Black.dwhich really surprised me.
    Also checked virus info
    and
    there are no matches on SmartDefense Research Center. Also tried reinstalling PC Tune Up with same results everytime i run it.
    Its really odd because the software
    came with the package and its a really really good addition to the security package.
    Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Am i the only one thats having this problem? help is really really appreciated. thnx!

Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

scottiet Guest

Default Re: Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security

I bought ZA Extreme Security and am experiencing the exact same problem.

I am running it on Vista Premium 32 bit.

rkcanada Guest

I have the same problem - Vista 32 bit operating system, I even reloaded ZA X and the problem came back,a scan using virustotal.com gave the following messages
    a scan of PCTuneUp.exe
    file in virustotal showed

F-Secure8.0.14470.0 2009.03.20 Packed.Win32.Black.dKaspersky 7.0.0.125 2009.03.21 Packed.Win32.Black.d**bleep** 3.2.1858.2 2009.03.20 VIPRE.Suspicious

I have reported by email the problem to ZA tech support - no answer yet from ZA, they say to contact Large Software

I am reloading all software including Vista and the problem came back - about 20 hours of work

The origianl copy of PC Tuneup produced no errors or viruses, but I removed it, before upgrading to ZA X,
    due to a false positive in

the iexplore.exe file containing virus Win32.LooksLike.Virut - discovered by ZA stating IE was trying to record keystrokes, etc

Why are companies releasing these problems to the public. It is causing us users problems, and lots of time trying to fix them ???????

pigdog Guest

I too have just come across this problem. I'm going to go straight to Large, the makers of PC Tuneup, and see what they say. I've had the Extreme suite for several weeks now, but todays scan was the first to pick it up. Funny thing is that I only found this when I chose to run a deep scan rather than the default level scan.
    Rather strangely though, when you ask for more info from the ZA log viewer it takes you to the ZA website then tells you that there are no matching records and that this info is provided by Kapersky. So Kapersky is saying it knows nothing about this particular virus.
    Yet if you go to Kapersky's own website, it says it's known about this specific virus since November 2008.
    So what on Earth is going on?
    On a related note, how do you get a copy of the ZA log? I want to be able to send it to ZA, Kapersky, Large software and my companies lawyer. If we are being
    infected either deliberately or through negligence, I want some answers, and I want ASAP!
    Whatever happens, let's keep each other posted.
    CheersJB

Message Edited by pigdog on 03-21-2009 05:57 PM

Hi!Report the false positive to Kaspersky.Send the file in a password protected zip to newvirus at kaspersky dot com. Subject: false positive. Include password in the e-mail.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

benedict Guest

i sent a message to Large Software regarding this issue and they said theres a new
    anti-virus definition
    update availble from
    ZA that we can download to fix the problem. and sure it did. now im happy with my ZA extreme again. :robotvery-happy:

i don't know if pigdog scared them (lol!)
    but they did fix it. :8}
    thanx!

Message Edited by benedict on 03-21-2009 10:03 AM

Default Re: Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security - FIXED

Thank you for the update... Cheers,Fax

bkoretz Guest

Default Re: Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security - NOT FIXED

This is NOT fixed yet!
    And "Extreme"ly annoying!
    I purchased the PC Tune-Up Pro upgrade
    when I purchased my 3 PC License for ZAX, and ZAX keeps deleting the PCTuneup.exe and detects the trojan in the installer downloaded [and re-downloaded this evening] from ZA as well [PCTuneUpProMUISetup.exe].
    I updated my anti-virus @ 9:30 PM EST and the problem has not
    gone away yet.
    I understand that downloading software from the internet is generally a risky proposition, but am I wrong to expect a little better from a company that specializes in PC SECURITY software, especially one with the expertise of ZA and Check Point?
    Now, you could say [and I believe have] that the problem is due to Kaspersky and Large, but when ZA integrated these products into theirs, I think you should shoulder the burden of QA testing before releasing to the public.
    This is ridiculous; you should be embarrassed!

I hope you fix this issue before the mainstream media picks up on it, now that WOULD be embarrassing [and costly from a reputation standpoint].

Default Re: Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security - Please Report it

Hi!did you report it to Kaspersky? There is little use to post it here, Kaspersky does not monitor this board, nor ZA staff.Send the file in a password protected zip to newvirus at kaspersky dot com. Subject: false positive. Include password in the e-mail.Explain in the e-mail that this is a legitimate installer from ....ect..Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-22-2009 10:53 AM

Default Re: Pc Tune Up(virus?) in ZA Extreme Security - REPORTED and NOW FIXED

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Kasperskywrote:
    <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Hello,<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText><xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Thank you for your help.<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText><P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Please quote all when answering. <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>-----------------<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Regards, <P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Virus Analyst, Kaspersky Lab.<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>10/1, 1st Volokolamsky Proezd, Moscow, 123060, Russia<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>Tel./Fax: + 7 (495) 797 8700<P style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class=MsoPlainText>http://www.kaspersky.com http://www.viruslist.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ok, I have reported... its easy and fast... you just need to report it!X-(... and Politeness costs nothing and gains everything ...EDIT: It is fixed now! Easy no?
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-22-2009 08:36 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information