Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't stop pop-ups

medukie Guest

Default Can't stop pop-ups

For the last week or so I've been having a problem when using Internet Explorer. I get periodic pop-up's, even though I have my settings set to prevent pop-ups. These are actually new windows opening and seem to be germaine to whatever search or sites I'm currently in the middle of, although they start of with a window for Registry Defender. I've done deep scans with ZASS, AdAware, and Advance System Care and still the problem continues. While I'd like to know how I got this problem, I'd really like to know how to get rid of it. I live in a rural area where I am limited to dial-up at 26.4 max and have spent literally days making sure I have the latest up-dates, etc. Can anyone out there helps???

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Can't stop pop-ups

Hi!you are using too many applications that do not do their job. Just use ZASSand free on-demand anti malware tools.See here below, how to clean your system:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=3787#M3787Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

medukie Guest

Thank you for your response. I did as you suggested and the result was a blank - nothing found by Zone Alarm. I've always had very good results with ZA but this is upsetting that it 1) let this problem through and 2) can't find the problem. Any other suggestions?

Ehm, there are several steps you need to follow... did you perform them up to end?Does not look like.Cheers,Fax

riceorony Guest

It seems that you have a Vundo variant (which enjoys giving oodles of pop-ups)

Download these programs, update, and run a Complete/Full scan in this order.

www.superantispyware.com (download the FREE home version)
    www.malwarebytes.org (download Malwarebytes Anti-malware version 1.35, which is FREE)
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ (download the FREE A-squared 4.0)
    http://www.freedrweb.com/ (download Dr.Web's cure-it, launch it, and let it do a full scan)

Turn off system restore afterwards to clear any infections that might have been backed-up.

Reboot

Turn system restore back on after everything is done.

Best,
    riceorony

medukie Guest

After going through all the various software steps, the system is now clean. Thank you. My concern now is that ZoneAlarm let all this through. I've always been happy with ZoneAlarm,, but I'm now having second thoughts. On the computer at my business, I've been running Norton and don't have these problems. Any thoughts on what's going on here?

medukie Guest

After going through all the various software steps, the system is now clean. Thank you. My concern now is that ZoneAlarm let all this through. I've always been happy with ZoneAlarm,, but I'm now having second thoughts. On the computer at my business, I've been running Norton and don't have these problems. Any thoughts on what's going on here?

Hi!sometimes ZA cannot protect you if you allow everything to install.No security tool can protect from human errors. You need to be careful.Is ZA configured correctly? Are you setting ZA to update every hour?Is program control set to Maximum? Are you careful in allowing ZA pop-up?Are you careful in allowing browser add-on to install? Are you clicking on hyperlinks easily?Cheers,Fax

riceorony Guest

Medukie,

Following what Guru Fax has stated, no single product can fully protect a computer unless the user has the upmost best surfing habits (e.g. Guru Oldsod hasn't had an infection for 6+ years I believe). Your business computer might only be doing fine because of different surfing habits normally used when at work versus when at home.

At work i presume most individuals only check e-mail or read the news. At home i presume there could be file-sharing, social networking, online shopping, etc.

Even surfing sites presumed to be safe might cause a large problem for regular users. A key example was a Javascript exploit that got out of control during the months of January-March 2009. Any computer that had Adobe and left javascript enabled (which is on by default) would be infected since some sites have rotating AD banners that loaded up a blank malicious pdf file (called 0.pdf) that caused the computer to download troyan's from various websites.

ZA will serve as a door bouncer to keep baddies from getting on your computer, but you have to know which programs to Allow and which ones to Deny.

I am glad to hear that your computer is malware free now though. Just keep those free programs on your computer and perform a weekly or monthly scan to ensure your computers health.

Also, get rid of Adaware because recent reviews for the past 3 years have put them at the bottom of the barrel in terms of finding/removing malware. Adaware and Spybot were excellent programs way back in the day (like 6 years ago or so), but today Superantispyware and Malwarebytes are the front-runners in free antispyware products;

Best,
    riceorony

Message Edited by riceorony on 04-03-2009 11:05 AM

medukie Guest

Thank you for your help. As far as setting ZA to update every hour, I'm afraid you're spoiled. I live in a rural area where my only viable access is a dial-up connection that is never better than 26.4k. The size of the updates at ZA and just about everywhere else preclude the option of using automatic updates at all. That said, I do update regularly. We are extremely careful with our use of the internet. While not the most veteran user, I have been online since the days of Prodigy and 13 inch amber monitors. This is my first infection! That's why I'm so upset that it happened at all. When setting ZoneAlarm's options, I tend to err on the side of caution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information