Thread: Scanner started scanning at startup

ohanna Guest

Default Scanner started scanning at startup

Hi! I have a scanner connected to my PC. Occasionally (about once every 15 times), the scanner's software (MP Navigator EX) would start up when I started my computer.
    I removed this program from my list of start up programs (via Windows defender), and
    haven't seen it started at startup since.

I updated my ZA to the latest version yesterday, and when I restarted my computer, this program started itself, and did a scan as well.

I doubled checked that this program is not present on my list of start up programs (via Windows defender -> Tools -> Software Explorer -> Start up).
    Does it sound like a malware issue?

I scanned my machine with a number of Anti-malware programs (AVG, Spybot, Malwarebyte's, SuperAntispyware) and nothing has been reported.

I cannot recall the version of my ZA (I am not at home now), but I used the ZA update option to get the latest version.

Many thanks for your help!

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Canon MP Navigator EX/ Scanner started scanning at startup

Canon MP Navigator EX is developed by Canon . The most popular versions of this product are: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0. The names of program executable files are mpnex10.exe, mpnex11.exe, mpnex12.exe, mpnex20.exe and mpnex21.exe.
    <hr>MP Navigator EX - is probably one of many files used by your scanner. Most printers/ all-in-one/ scanners will have various files that 'seek' updates/ phone-home
    or will run. When you upgraded ZA and it came back up- it's not unusal or un-common; and not malware.

You can again make steps to not let it run at start-up; also look in ZA Control list (although - it will probably come under a 'larger'/ different
    program name by Canon) and also 'look
    for' the &quot;mpnex.exe&quot; files listed above. { for example - my HP/ Compaq pc plus HP multi-printer comes with a program called 'HP Image Zone and HP Digital Imaging' which includes various files/ programs for the printer/ scanner - these programs are
    listed in ZA Control list} { just be cautious 'not-to- un-install' this program or you may have trouble with the scanner ever working again}<hr>Otherwise you may seek Canon support for further assistance.

ohanna Guest

Default Re: Scanner started scanning at startup

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information