Thread: Possible Virus or Malware on Laptop (ZoneAlarm not loading at System Startup)

tryprotect Guest

Default Possible Virus or Malware on Laptop (ZoneAlarm not loading at System Startup)

I installed ZoneAlarm 7.0.483.000 on our laptop in Aug 2008 (I also have this version running on 2 desktops with no problem).
    Virus and spyware updates automatically update, although program version updates are not being installed.
    Although I usually install Microsoft Windows/Office
    updates and create hard drive image backups on a regular basis, the laptop was last updated/backedup in Dec 2008.
    The laptop is wirelessly used at home behind ZoneAlarm and a hardware firewall provided by a D-Link router,
    or at college solely with
    ZoneAlarm
    protection.
    Full system scans are automatically run once a week, with only cookie-type issues found.
    All appeared fine until last week when I noticed that the ZoneAlarm and Dell's Quickset icons were not showing in the system tray (near date).
    Dell Quickset either allows for or facilitates the laptops search for available wireless networks.
    My fiance's initial concern was that she could not connect to the internet.
    When I investigated, I noticed these were not appearing.
    Before manually loading ZoneAlarm (to make the icon appear), Windows Security (via Control Panel) indicated that the laptop was protected by ZoneAlarm's firewall and antivirus.
    However, when I right clicked on a scannable document on the desktop, the "Scan with ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus" option was grey-out and could not be selected.
    Once I forced a launch of ZoneAlarm by selecting it under Start>All Programs ..., the ZoneAlarm icon appeared in the system tray and I could now scan the desktop file by right clicking it.
    A forced launch of Dell's Quickset likewise added that program's icon to the system tray and I was again able to assess the internet wirelessly.
    Both of these programs usually load a startup, placing an icon in the system tray, and they are still are set to auto launch, but they no longer appear to load (or not fully load).
    After reading some other posts, I tried and realized that Start>Run>regedit only returns me to the desktop.
    Also, trying to manually open regedt32.exe by going to C:\Windows\system32 likewise returns me to the desktop.
    I do not if these problems are due to a virus, ZoneAlarm settings (permissions), or something else.
    I ran a full system ZoneAlarm scan the other day in Safe Mode with Networking and the scan found no viruses/issues.
    Since this version of ZoneAlarm has been working fine since Aug 2008, I do not believe the problem is a corrupted install.
    Can you tell me what the problem is and how I can fix it?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    TryProtect

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by TryProtect on 05-17-2009 08:02 PM

Default Re: Possible Virus or Malware on Laptop (ZoneAlarm not loading at System Startup)

Hi!please follow the standard cleaning steps detailed here below, if one step does not apply to you skip to the next. You may need to post your system logs to malware cleaning experts (last link of the message): http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787Ensure your XPis up to date(SP3 + all patches)and always try to install the latest ZA version. Cleaning and installing steps are detailed here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=20875(read message starting after the "-----------------------------------")Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tryprotect Guest

Default Re: Possible Virus or Malware on Laptop (ZoneAlarm not loading at System Startup)

Fax,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I followed your instructions for running a full scan in safe mode with networking and found no issues.
    However, in looking at ZoneAlarm Anti-virus/Anti-spyware>Quarantine>Viruses I noticed that a virus previously found by ZoneAlarm has been in Quarantine for 89 days.
    The virus is: Trojan.Win32.Agent.brgswith a path of: C:\Documents and Settings\....\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\M1F010V7\Setup[1].exe
    Is it possible that this trojan
    previously made system changes and, eventhough it is now in quarantine, these previous changes are causing my current problems?
    If so, will following your additional instructions (running MBAM, etc.) correct these system problems, or should I be doing something else at this point?
    Thank you again,
    TryProtect

Hi!yes, could be... you have nothing to loose to run the rest of the tools.If you still get errors you may need to reinstall your OS.Fax

tryprotect Guest

Fax,
    As mentioned in my previous post, running a ZoneAlarm scan in safe mode etc. apparently had no impact on the problems I was seeing on my laptop.
    Even after a reboot after the scan, I was still having the same problems.
    However, after leaving my post about an hour ago, I started comparing
    ZoneAlarm settings on my desktop to the settings on the laptop and made a few changes (one being to manually add ZoneAlarm Client to ZA's Program Control>Programs).
    After making these changes, I rebooted the laptop and everything started working properly.
    ZA fully loaded at boot with icon in system tray and ability to right click on a file to scan it.
    Also, I can again run Regedit, and Dell Quickset loads at startup with icon appearing in the system tray.
    I do not know if the ZA setting changes and addition of ZA Client to ZA's Program Control>Programs fixed the problem or if it was the second reboot after the safe mode ZA scan, but all problems are gone.
    What is your opinion?
    Thank you for your help!
    TryProtect

hi!I don't know, manually add ZA into ZA does not sound promising. May be your ZA is not really configured correctly.Whenever you feel confortable you should reset ZA to its factory settings to be sure you are running a functional ZA.1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootYou could also get your system checked by malware experts to be sure its clean. Last link in my initial e-mail.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-19-2009 07:40 AM

Thread Information