Thread: Gumblar alert issued by ZoneAlarm

anoldguy Guest

Default Gumblar alert issued by ZoneAlarm

Would someone please CLARIFY for me re: the recent ZoneAlarm alert re: Gumblar. . .Does it ONLY apply if you are using Internet Explorer AND Google Search together? Or, any other browser PLUS Google Search?

I do NOT use IE for anything. . .I have been using Firefox as my browser for several years and my use of Google search is via Firefox. And, does the danger exist if I use Google from this launching?

Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: Gumblar alert issued by ZoneAlarm

Read Gumblar Attack Targets Internet Explorer and Google Search Engine Users - Severity: HIGH at this link :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...rt/gumblar.htm

I just downloaded FileAlyzer and located sqlsodbc.chm in the Windows system folder (by default under Windows XP, the location is C:\Windows\System32\).
    Print report and Compare the obtained SHA1 to the list located on the ScanSafe STAT Blog." Clean ".

BTW, I use Firefox but just change to Yahoo Search in my Navigation Toolbar just to be safe.

Have a nice Day

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-06-2009 06:53 AM

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-06-2009 07:05 AM

bill_r Guest

The page says:
    > Who is at risk?
    > Users of Internet Explorer and Google's search engine.

So my question, too, is: What do *ZoneAlarm* mean by their statement. Is it "users who use *both*" or "users who use *either*"?

Charles_B Guest

bill_r wrote :

The page says:
    > Who is at risk?
    > Users of Internet Explorer and Google's search engine.

So my question, too, is: What do *ZoneAlarm* mean by their statement. Is it "users who use *both*" or
    "users who use *either*"?

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Charles_B wrote

My take would be both.Read the following two sites for more information to answer your question.

The malicious script that is downloaded onto the PCs from a gumblar domain attempts to load exploit code that does several things, according to Landesman. The code automatically opens PDF and Flash files and attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Adobe's Acrobat Reader and Flash Player. It also injects itself into the Internet Explorer browser and starts intercepting all of the computer's Web traffic, replacing legitimate links in Google search results with links to sites the attackers want the user to visit, she said. Finally, the code steals FTP credentials stored on the computer that can be used to compromise additional Web sites the user may manage.

"It is targeting IE users and Google searches," Landesman said.

From this site :

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-102...=News-Security

The Gumblar worm targets Google search engine users and attempts to redirect returned search results to malicious sites.

From this Site :

http://www.cbronline.com/news/securi...ar_worm_260509

Good Day

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-06-2009 04:56 PM

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-06-2009 05:21 PM

Thread Information