Thread: ZA Anti-Virus scan detects Trojans that Kaspersky does not recognise????

tqjoofs Guest

Default ZA Anti-Virus scan detects Trojans that Kaspersky does not recognise????

The following Trojans were picked up in a deep virus scan:

Trojan.Win32.Vapsup.vai
    Trojan.Win32.Vapsup.vah
    Trojan.Win32.Patched.Gy

Anybody got any ideas what this is all about. Or even more importantly, what are these Trojans?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA Anti-Virus scan detects Trojans that Kaspersky does not recognise????

Hi!ths is usually comes from fake antivirus software that you let install on your system but it can take very different forms.If you google VAPSUP you will find a lot of different information. Do not download any cleaning tool you will see, they can be rouge too!Just follow all the steps detailed below to clean completely your system:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tqjoofs Guest

Default Re: ZA Anti-Virus scan detects Trojans that Kaspersky does not recognise????

Thanks for your reply. FYI, I have not downloaded or installed (intentionally at least) any anti virus software of any kind. I use ZAISS exclusively and have done for a few years. I update immediately any update is available. I am currently using Ver. 8.0.298.035

The ZA anti-virus treatments worked for each of the Trojans except one which it advised it could not delete. It did however, accept "delete on reboot". All the others were reported as either repaired or deleted. Those which were reported as having been quarantined were deleted manually.

In a subsequent deep scan, one of the trojans has reappeared. It was reported by the ZA system as having been repaired.

I will do another deep scan to see what turns up and post the results here.

Hi!whenever you feel confortable please update to version 8.0.400.020 (www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/) It is not offered by the automatic update. Only manual update, don't know whyCheers,fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

retiredbozo Guest

Hi,

I had a somewhat similar experience. ZA (version 8.0.298.035) quarantined LockNote.exe (from Steganos GmbH) and all copies of this file (with other names). The virus reported was Trojan.Win32.Vapsup.ukc . Clicking on "more info" produced nothing from the Kapersky database. I ran a scan on a backup of LockNote.exe from 2 years ago and ZA quarantined it; then I ran a scan with a different product on a duplicate copy on another machine - no trojan reported.

One day later, I released one of the files from quarantine but ZA just grabbed it again. (I was hoping the virus defs would have been updated, but no luck.)

So I upgraded to 8.0.400.200 and released all files from quarantine. This time everything is fine - no trojan reports. Draw your own conclusions :-)

Dell Latitude D620
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

tqjoofs Guest

Most of the Trojans reported were associated with a Windows Sidebar program Windows_Sidebar_real_one_pack_by_joshoon. I have uninstalled and cleaned up the whole thing. No further recurrences of the Trojans.

I have also now upgraded to ZAISS V. 8.0.400.020. I am also using ForceField 1.3.153.0. (That is another story with numerous problems!). Any thoughts on re-installing the offending program to see what turns up?

Thread Information