Thread: URGENT: Cannot change programs' Permission in Program Control->Programs->Server...!!

zed Guest

Default URGENT: Cannot change programs' Permission in Program Control->Programs->Server...!!

Almost accidentally I discovered that ALL programs listed in Program Control suddenly obtained full server permissions which I cannot change!!!I am not sure when it happened and why. More importantly, I cannot change permissions - and onlyin "server" column". Permissions in "Acess" column can be changed as usual. I deleted all programms from the list, nevertheless, after they wereadded again, situation with permission settings did not chage"Main" ->"Program Control" is set on "High" (i.e "program must ask for acess and server rights") While indeedprogram asked for internet acess, none asked for server rights.Any idea what to do?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm with Antivirus
    Software Version:5.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: URGENT: Cannot change programs' Permission in Program Control->Programs->Server...!!

Hi zedIt seems that your data dase is corrupted and needs resetting1 Go to overview preferences and uncheck 'load ZA at start up'2 Reboot in safe mode3 Look for the folder Internet Logs (in XP is C:\Windows..)4 Open the folder and delete everything in it5 Empty your recicle bin6 Restart in windows normally, open ZA and recheck ' ZA load at start up'You'll loose all your settings but they are messed up anyway. I suggest to not restore the data base and build it again from scratch.See if this solves the problemBest regards

zed Guest

Default Re: URGENT: Cannot change programs' Permission in Program Control->Programs->Server...!!

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot check whether this issue was with the data base - I just finished re-scanning of HD & re-installation of ZA. Even though I did not find any virus or spyware, after re-install the problem dissappeared. (* on the other hand, if this was related to the data-base - I did delete all programs from the acess list (though I did not remove the file itself) *)

ad_hock Guest

Hi zedYou're welcome. You did OK, that was the drastic step. I was trying to perform an intermediate step to check if the problem was from a corrupted data base that would't remember the settings. I hope that now all goes well.Best regardsPS: I don't think the problem was connected with something nefarious

cjturner Guest

I had an almost identical problem that certainly looked nefarious, but it seemed to begin when I attempted to change the password (from a non-admin account). I thought I changed it, but it appears that it never changed...Later, I discovered that many, but not all, programs in the UI appeared blocked and I could not "allow" them except in the server column. It sort of worked (probrams not actually blocked) if I occasionally re-started, but finally turned everything to red "X's," with no ability to change them.

Thread Information