Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the a1981.g.akamai

josh_a Guest

Default the a1981.g.akamai

for the last several weeks i keep gething masage on the firewall log "outgoing - blocked - a1981.g.akamai" what is this akamai blocked thing is it a spam or a spy program who is " a1981.g.akamai" and how can i stop this sequel which go's on for about 43 times every day, please help

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

zaswing Guest

Default Re: the a1981.g.akamai

I get the same thing sometimes, DNS is a1815.g.akamai.I believe akamai is some sort of mail or informationrouting servers used by yahoo. I think I saw something about it on Google.Some people here reported Global Crossing as well.The funny part for me is thatone ison a line with a "Changed program" alert for, of all things, Zone labs client (zlclient.exe). Outgoing. But it happened on installation day of 6.1.737 where the client indeed got changed.Action taken was Allowed/Auto. Ouch! I suspect it's all harmless but do NOT know.

ad_hock Guest

Akamai is a big server used by many companies like Microsoft,Zone Labs. It doesn
    t represent any danger
    Best regards

zaswing Guest

Thank you!!

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome
    Best regards

aweir Guest

But what is it Doing?

I'm running Active Ports 1.4 and it says:

a209-18-34-6.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com local port: 1200

What is this a209-18-34-6.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com?

It it an ad server delivering ads? What is Akamai Technologies and why are you guys so afraid to tell?

unhappy_viewer Guest

Akamia servers are used by many big corporations including Zone labs to deliver updates to their customers. We aren't afraid of teling you anything. Its just that you did not exactly ask what its purpose was for. All that was asked was whether was it dangerous.

Anyway, I thought that Ad-hock's earlier post would have suggested that the server was not used for anything malicious. Microsoft and Zone Labs certainly doesn't serve adware to people.

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 12-02-2005 05:01 PM

aweir Guest

Not to sound paranoid, but it looks suspicious. There is ALWAYS this Akaimai (whatever it's called) in the backround. When I block the IP address, certain pages don't load. I just don't understand what this has to do with zonealarm. Is Zonealarm openening up a port for Akamai? It has to do with the process vsmon.exe

It is so suspicious because know one seems to know what it is exactly.

ad_hock Guest

Hi aweir
    I didn't think I had to elaborate more the answer I gave in the first post. Unhappy_Viewer said it all.Just to add that I run Port Exlorer in two computers and akamai is not the only big server to be used by big companoirs. Savvies, Level3 and so on.If you have enabled features where ZA has to speak with the servers, alert adviser, automatic updates,...it's natural that you find this connections that if you use Port Explorer could verify that there are not made in the bakground
    but quite visible.
    Best regards

flyyourway Guest

Aweir, I guess you do not understand simple Internet rules,Akaimai is a host server,so when you venture to certain websites,these sites may host adverts on the Akaimai servers were you in turn will be redirected to by the website for these adds to load.Some websites get loads of visitors a day,so they have to keep some to half of their content on back-up servers,which Akaimai provides to the Internet world.If this and what the other users have explained to you does not satisfy your need for information useGoogle and do some research.Yes I also understand the Akaimai servers can be exploited at times by certain spyware coders and it can be used in a malicious way,but as far as I am aware of at the moment I am not aware of any exploits or red flags that have been drawn up by Akaimai. If you feel ZA isn't standing up to its job then switch firewalls,but I believe you have gotten some straight forward answers now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information