Thread: Generic Host process for win32 services ?

teda Guest

Default Generic Host process for win32 services ?

I'm just curious , this comes up twice in the little display next to the padlock . I havenot given it Server internet rights , but it seems to be communicating with the internetbased on the in / out green and red bars . I have a dual core processor . Maybe that explains it coming up twice . What does this do anyway ? Version 6.1ThanksTed

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Generic Host process for win32 services ?

Hi tedA
    Legitimate programs send and receive to and from the internet,otherwise your computer wouldn't work. That's the case of svchost.exe which is essential for your computer working. That's different regarding internet server rights where a program stands with an open port waiting for connections like someone at home waiting for a phone call.You don't give server rights to your antivirus updater but still it receives the updates of virus definitions. I suggest you get a good port to process maper to have full control about programs, executives, computer ports and remote computers and remote ports.That way you'll be always fully aware of the connections inside your computer. I use and recommend Port Explorer from www.diamondcs.com.au it's paid but you have 30 days trial. I have no experience but a lot of people use TCPview from SysInternals.
    Best regards

teda Guest

Hi Ad-Hock , Thanks for the answering my question . And ' thanks for the suggestion on the port to process maper . Sounds like some thing I'd really be interested in . Thanks againTed

ad_hock Guest

Hi TedA
    You're very welcome. I strongly suggest you get one,it's the only way you have to be fully aware about the connections that are running inside your computer.
    Best regards

tasslehoff Guest

On this program topic, recently converted from sygate, how do I totally block svchost yet create an advanced rule to enable automatic updates by allowing TCP on ports 80 and 443 outgoing like in sygate and perhaps the time server UDP port 123 incoming/outgoing. Ta

teda Guest

Ad-Hock,I got TCPview . Pretty neat . I was wondering , when you see this *:* under Remoteaddress , what does that mean ? I see it under svchost.exe:1008UDPand System:4TCP.Neither are established or Listening . Does it just mean there's no address ? Ted

ad_hock Guest

Hi TedA
    The symbol *:* is equivalent to address 0.0.0.0 which means no remote address as this ip is reserved for the network.So basically you don't have an active connection.If you have the symbol * in port it means port 0.
    Best regards

teda Guest

Hi Ad-Hock ,Once again , many thanks . TCPview is a nice little tool . I like knowingwhat's going on in my computer .Ted

Thread Information