Thread: Why is Zonealam allowing outgoing DNS connections???? ZA is defying my firewall settings!!!

Hybrid View

aweir Guest

Default Why is Zonealam allowing outgoing DNS connections???? ZA is defying my firewall settings!!!

I just viewed the Program logs, and it shows that:

Rating: HIGH
    Type: Reapeat program
    Program: C:\Program files\Zone labs\zonealarm\zlclient.exw
    Source IP: (none)
    Destination IP: 209.18.34.6:53
    Direction: Outgoing (connect)
    Action Taken: *ALLOWED*
    Count: 1
    Source DNS: (none)
    Destination DNS: a566.x.a (HUH!?)

http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pranaly...techinfo&CL=en

In the firewall setting, I HAVE ALLOW OUTGOING DNS (UDP PORT 53) *UNCHECKED* AND YET ZONEALARM BYPASSED THIS AND ALLOWED A CONNECTION TO MY ISP!

I have recently upgraded to the lastest version of Zonealarm Security Suite.

In both my internet zone security and trusted zone security, I have the option unchecked.

***OUTGOING DNS SHOULD BE BLOCKED***
    I am very concerned right now. Zonealarm has also tried to connect to www.amw.com automatically 5 times and was blocked

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

aweir Guest

Default Re: Why is Zonealam allowing outgoing DNS connections???? ZA is defying my firewall settings!!!

Ok, I just had another one three minutes ago.

Once again, why is Zonealarm allowing this outgoing DNS connection port 53 to my ISP when I have it BLOCKED????

aweir Guest

Default Re: Why is Zonealam allowing outgoing DNS connections???? ZA is defying my firewall settings!!!

Even after manually blocking outgoing udp port 53 in both the internet and trusted zones, Zonealarm has yet again allowed an outgoing udp connection to my ISP. And on top of that, mozilla has just attempted to connect to www.amw.com (America's Most Wanted) all by itself 5 times just a few minutes ago.

!

spm Guest

Hi, aweir ... I have outgoing DNS on port 53 checked as allowed for my legitimate programs that need to double-check the addresses of the servers they need to contact for updates ... it is a normal, legitimate function that I know can be abused but I run anti-spyware and anti-virus at startup that constantly poll items loaded in memory and feel that it is an acceptable risk. Incoming is not allowed, of course; only DNS lookups initiated by programs that have been given internet access permissions in Program Control in ZoneAlarm.It is possible that your unchecking of outgoing DNS on port 53 is in effect globally while the permissions settings for the ZoneAlarm client allow that one program to perform this function. There might also be this setting included with other programs for which auto settings are in effect in Program Control in Zone Alarm. Also, do you have Internet Explorer set to automatically update/refresh pages you visit at certain intervals? Do you have automatic web page refresh set up? If not, then I would definitely be wanting to find out what wants to connect to AMW. Automatic refresh is the only thing I can think of right offhand that would be a legitimate outgoing knock-knock to AMW. If you have never been to AMW's website, then I would definitely not be happy and would be looking for the IP address to enter into Blocked in Zone Alarm's firewall.Good luck ... let us know what you find out ... spm

Thread Information