Thread: Why does the system tray icon change while online?

cloverone Guest

Default Why does the system tray icon change while online?

Hello, forum! I'm not a PC newbie, but I am new using ZoneAlarm free version 5.5.06. With all the vulnerability stuff you hear about Everything these days, I have a question: Why, when I'm online (dial-up) does the red/green blinking icon go to the non-online ZA icon? Is the firewall working properly? Is another program "suspending" it or "blocking" it? It's reassuring to see the firewall working down there in the system tray, and lately I've noticed that isn't always the case. Basics: XP SP2, Gateway AMD64, ZA only firewall activated, McAfee anti-virus, Win-Patrol, Spybot tea-timer.Many thanks for help for what is probably a dumb question!Cloverone

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Why does the system tray icon change while online?

You might find this image helpful in understanding the system tray icons. Your system is working fine. The green/red bars are only active when data is being transferred which is not all the time.

cloverone Guest

Thank you very much for the information! I feel much more reassured about my PC's firewall protection!Cloverone

Interestingly, there are about 30 separate images that make up the tray icon. They swap so fast it makes the icon appear animated like a VU meter!

To see all the icons, use a program that allows you to explore the resources in executable files (eg PE Resource Explorer) and explore the resources in the file "zlclient.exe" found in C:/program files/Zone Labs. ENJOY!

felixmoore Guest

Thanks from this newbie too; I've been wondering what the blinking little 'overlaid' icon was (blocked item), since it just started happening.

vlm Guest

Why is the system tray icon have a blue dot blinking when I mouse over it?
    This has not happened before.
    Also, how can I see the email files that are quarantied?
    I am using :ZA 6.5.737
    Thanks for any help you can provide

Thread Information