Thread: Security Risk of running an SMTP server?

ejr Guest

Default Security Risk of running an SMTP server?

I'm notvery computer savvy and want to get input before buying a software product that I am evaluating. For business reasons, I send a lot of emails. Not SPAM mind you, but enough emails that sometimes my ISP tells me I am exceeding the limit.As a workaround to this problem I am evaluating a program calledMail Direct 2.3 Pro(see link below). It is basically an SMTP server to bypass comcasts SMTP server and send mail directly to my candidates (people that have sent me theri resumes and ant to hear about new jobs). http://www.ocloudsoft.com/What potential risks are there to running such a program?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Security Risk of running an SMTP server?

My first reaction is that as long as you are sending mail out of your machine, I can see any increased risk to you. Maybe someone else has some experience with a SMTP application.

ejr Guest

Default Re: Security Risk of running an SMTP server?

That's good to hear. I haveheard about Spammer's somehow getting access to your server. I have heard about Trojans and port 25. Some people have warned me that message relaying can be risky. I really don't understand the technology and I like the product. I just don't want to create a vulnerability by using it.

Thread Information