Thread: Unknown Program is attempting outbound TCP connection

russd Guest

Default Unknown Program is attempting outbound TCP connection

My ZAP (v 6.1.737.000) Log shows repeated attempts to establish an outbound TCP connection from many ports (eg, 1189, 1280, 1323, etc) to 69.225.175.80:80. My question is: how can I determine what program is initiating these attempts? The "Program" column in the log is always empty.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Unknown Program is attempting outbound TCP connection

I don't think what you are seeing is a nefarious program trying to do harm. The IP you posted belongs to Akamai Server Farm used by many internet companies to host their sites (including Microsoft for example). In this case, I think it is SBC which I'm going out on a limb to suggest might be your ISP? Anyway, there is a freeware program call Active Ports (click here) that will tell you what applications are using what ports on your machine.

Default Re: Unknown Program is attempting outbound TCP connection

USe TCPview from SysInternals. Its a GUI front end for the DOS program Netstat. It will show you all current TCP and UDP connections being made and dropped. If you run it with Administrator privelges, it will also show you the program that initiated the connection.

Although you can save a copy of the current screen display for later analysis, it doesn't actively log connections so you'll have to be watching when the connection is requested.

Thread Information