Thread: Need to identify the application making changes to the URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol FileType.

syntactics Guest

Default Need to identify the application making changes to the URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol FileType.

I have an application running that changes the URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol filetype, which results in Internet Explorer not being able to launch when an URL is clicked in Outlook or Word, etc. I can manually reset the entry in the "Open" action, but it gets reset on computer restart. I want to be able to determine which process is making the change. According to a microsoft article it is likely related to a process that blocks popups.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.1

muffincharizard Guest

Default Re: Need to identify the application making changes to the URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol FileType.

Go to the control panel > folder options > file types tab and see if you can find the answer there.

syntactics Guest

Default Re: Need to identify the application making changes to the URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol FileType.

I am able to view the content of the file types in question. I can also locate each occurence in the registry. Am I able to use zonealarm to block those registry entries from being changed and/or at least monitor which app is altering those registry entries? I assume that under program control, it will be one of the entries that have super trust (III) level? I can manually reset the reg entry but as soon as I re-open Internet Explorer, the settings change back. On of the registry entries containing the altered content is labeled "gopher". Is it relevant? Thanks

muffincharizard Guest

There isn't much ZoneAlarm can do in that reguard, but you can change the permissions of the registry entry. Go to the entry that you found, right click the folder, click "Permissions..." and try disallowing write permissions (but allow read permissions) for everything.

Thread Information