Thread: ID Lock

eclipsegsx Guest

Default ID Lock

How does it work? I know that it uses encryption..and if I put a value in, it prevents me from typing it...thats coolMy question is, if a keylogger was to log key strokes, would it be able to log passwords, credit card #'s, etc? or would zass prevent that..Could someone give me a overview on how it works? I looked on www.zonelabs.com but that gives a very brief explanation. Thx

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: ID Lock

ZA doesn't actually store the raw data (credit card numbers etc), but it stores the MD5 hash of the data. The MD5 hash like a high quality but unique checksum of the originl data but the orginal data cannot be retrieved from it. ZA must check the MD5 hash of groups of typed characters to try and match it with the MD5 hashes stored in the database.

AFAIK Zone Alarm prevents the transmission of data with MD5 hashes that match the MD5 hashes stored in your ID Lock. It doesn't prevent the information being typed in the first place (and therefore being keylogged). Any decent keylogger worth its salt will encrypt the data prior to sending and so ZA will not prevent it being sent.

Thread Information