Thread: Conflicting DNS Host Name Information

spm Guest

Default Conflicting DNS Host Name Information

I am having trouble discerning who is who ... my router gives one name for a particular IP, ZoneAlarm gives another name for the same IP, and SmartDefense Advisor gives yet a third report as to who is who at that IP.The IP range in question is: 84.53.144.0 -- 84.53.144.255. The particular IP in question is 84.53.144.15.My router says this is a.r.tv.com ... ZoneAlarm firewall log says this is a767.ms.akamai, then later on, when it pops up again, it says it is avu.zonelabs.com ... SmartDefense Advisor says this IP is reserved by IANA.The alerts listed in the firewall log are blocking actions -- block outgoing NetBIOS Name.Another IP in this range that comes up frequently is 84.53.144.17.In the space of 30 minutes, ZoneAlarm firewall log has reported that this IP is a1981.g.akamai, then a767.ms.akamai, now avu.zonelabs.com. My router is now saying it is a644.g.akamai.net. A few days ago, my router said this IP was a.r.tv.com. SmartDefense Advisor says this IP is reserved by IANA.ARP Cache Poisoning defense is on and my router detects and reports spoofing sometimes ... I don't know what to do next because I don't think I can trust my machine to accurately find a WHOIS site and accurately tell me who is behind these particular doors.Some sites I visit say that Ewido might be giving false positives, but Ewido found and quarantined Trojan.KillFiles.dm and heuristic.Win32.AVKiller. The latter is suspect because it was the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (mrt.exe). However, I did end up with _two_ copies of the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool in different folders. So, I don't know which one is the correct one. I tried to download the latest version from Microsoft, but Internet Explorer refused to load the ActiveX at the Microsoft web site I was directed to because it said the publisher was Unknown. Oh, boy ... I think I am in some trouble here perhaps.If anyone has a clean machine and a little time, could you please check some reliable sites to find out who the real 84.53.144.17 is?Thanks for your time ... spm

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Conflicting DNS Host Name Information

It belongs to Akamai Technologies. See http://www.dnsstuff.com but make sure you turn off Prefetch if you run Fasterfox!

spm Guest

Default Re: Conflicting DNS Host Name Information

Thanks, Frere ... have you seen this happen before? ZoneAlarm and/or some other netstat-type program changing the host name for a particular IP? Appreciate the lookup ... spm

Thread Information