Thread: PPP adaptors and loopback adaptors in Zone Alarm Free Version

eclectk Guest

Default PPP adaptors and loopback adaptors in Zone Alarm Free Version

Hello all,I've got the free zone alarm, and it automatically put in three firewall zones, 2 are ppp adaptors & one is a loopback adaptor. This is a single computer, NO server, dialup access, nothing shared with anyone else online. As best I understand, those shouldn't be there. Can anyone help please? I've got AVG free, using AOL as ISP (I know, ought to have gotten off long ago), periodically run current versions of adware & spybot, got the trial version of spysweeper & ran it quite recently (a few weeks ago the trial ran out). I DID have a few problems with a hijacker not long ago and it reappeared a few times after I thought I'd gotten rid of it -- softomate toolbar & buddy bargain (bargain buddy)if I'm recalling correctly -- all I could ever tell it was doing was making a url of www.google.com go to www.google.de (dutch version of google!) a few times.... and I seem to have gotten rid of them (no reappearance or odd activity in the last month or so).Anyhow, I was wondering what the ppp adaptors & loopback adaptor are doing there and how to get rid of them -- or if perhaps its something necessary with AOL??Thanks much!!

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

muffincharizard Guest

Default Re: PPP adaptors and loopback adaptors in Zone Alarm Free Version

From what I've seen AOL installs their own PPP adapters for some reason. Nothing to worry about.

eclectk Guest

So these look like typical AOL entries --that zone alarm allows AOL to automatically put there when zone alarm is installed?

muffincharizard Guest

Any network adapter that exists is put into the zones list in the firewall tab so you can configure how ZoneAlarm handles it.

Thread Information