Thread: Security question

freestyle Guest

Default Security question

I have been using ZA free version 6.1.737.000 for about 4 years now. On the status screen under Blocked Intrusions it says 0 Intrusions have been blocked since installed. Inbound Protection 0 and Outbound Protection 27 programs. The question i have, does that sound right? Shouldn't their be more blocked intrusions than that and am i being protected like i should? Automatic updates are set and it says my internet security is up to date. Thanks for a reply

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Security question

Hi freestyle
    Are you behind a router or a modem with NAT? because if that's the case the router or the modem with NAT blocks incoming intrusions and they don
    t arrive to your firewall.
    Best regards

freestyle Guest

So your saying Zone Alarm or any firewall is of no useful purpose or am i missing something?

freestyle Guest

oh, i am behind a router an modem. Sorry bout that.

ad_hock Guest

Hi freestyle
    No problem, you're welcome. Your computer has a private ip due to NAT that is not usable in internet, what is hitten it's the external ip assigned by your ISP and your router blocks the incoming requests that doesn't correspond to solicitations coming from your computer. In your case ZA is acting mainly for outbond protection.
    Best regards

freestyle Guest

Thanks for the info:0

<blockquote><hr>freestyle wrote:
    So your saying Zone Alarm or any firewall is of no useful purpose or am i missing something?
    <hr></blockquote>
    Hi Freestyle

Yes you are missing something. While your modem/router is protecting you (very effectively I might add) against inbound traffic, Zone Alarm is protecting you against unauthorised OUTBOUND traffic.

The protection provided by ZA (and other software firewalls) is not too bad, but don't ever get too complacent and think its protecting you 100%. Stuff can and will continue to get out without your knowledge, but at least you stand a fighting chance against things like spyware that can phone home.

Further more, I would consider upgrading to the paid version as it provides a much higher level of security than the free version.

Thread Information