Thread: Internet Lock

ukrkaz Guest

Default Internet Lock

For the longest time my internet lock has not worked. I had been using a wireless connection on my laptop, so I assumed it had something to do with that. I always removed the network card to be safe. Now that my wireless connection is on the fritz, I am connected to the cable modem through the ethernet port on the router, but the internet lock still will not engage. I have it set to automatically engage after ten minutes of inactivity. I was away from the computer for about 30-40 minutes and the lock was not engaged. What can I do to make sure that it works properly?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by ukrkaz on 12-18-2005 01:25 PM

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Internet Lock

Hi ukrkaz
    You may try a resetting of your data base and see if it solves the problem. You'll loose all your settings and need to built a fresh data base. See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=7101#M7101.
    If this doesn't solve the problem then the best solution is a clean uninstall and after a clean install.
    To do a clean uninstall follow this post by Guru Bill http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23435#M23435
    To be on the safe side I suggest that after the uninstall you follow this instructions and see for the eventual presence of remnants of ZA and if found delete them. You just need the final part of the instructions that concerns the search of the described files and folders. Then do a clean install with a fresh installer.
    However let me suggest why don't you, if you leave the computer,right click over the network icon in the system tray and choose deactivate. Then when coming back just click in repair.
    Best regards

billc Guest

About the Internet Lock. If you are the only person that uses your machine, then engaging the Internet Lock will not add an protection different from the protection you have while sitting in front of your machine. But if others you your machine, then you might not want them to carouse the internet. When the lock engages, only traffic initiated by programs to which you have given pass-lock permission is allowed. All traffic to and from your computer is stopped, including DHCP messages, or ISP heartbeats, used to maintain your Internet connection. As a result, you may lose your Internet connection.

tripecac Guest

I used to use Auto-lock to prevent computers from accessing my backup computer while I used it to record music. Now that it's no longer the backup computer (and doesn't share directories anymore), is there any reason to continue to use auto-lock?

Thread Information