Thread: Zone Alarm asks permission twice for my browsers. Why?

randeemo Guest

Default Zone Alarm asks permission twice for my browsers. Why?

The last few times I've tried to access the internet with any browser(I have IE, opera, and firefox) Zone Alarm will first ask me to allow it to access the internet and gives an ip destination of 127.0.0.1 followed by a port number. After that, it will ask for permission to access the internet, but it will have a different destination ip every time. The second ip is some address followed by DNS. Why does it do this? I don't remember zone alarm behaving this way in the past. I don't know enough about computer security to know if this is something to worry about or not. I'm concerned first that someone else is running a "duplicate" of my browser and using it to hack me or spy on me. I'm concerned secondly about the fact that the second ip address always changes. Also, a couple of times when I clicked on my Opera browser, I got an errormessage saying "another user is using this copy of Opera". I was thinking this message might be related to how Zone Alarm asks twice and might be another reason for concern.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm asks permission twice for my browsers. Why?

Hi randeemo
    What should be happening is the following,when you enter the address the first look is to your hosts file 127.0.0.1 to see if that address is there and after if it is not the request goes to your DNS servers to resolve the address. Nothing to worry about.
    Best regards

randeemo Guest

Thanks for the info, Ad-Hock.

But should the DNS address ever change? I thought that was a server that my ip service provider is responsible for. Or not? Who or what determines which DNS server my browsers use?

Thanks in advance.

ad_hock Guest

Hi randeemo
    You're welcome.
    You are right it's your ISP that normally provide the DNS servers.These servers are normally maintained for some time what doesn't mean that after some time the ip's could change but not frequently and normally not all as there can be more then one Server. You can check that, open a command line (hit start-run-cmd)and then type ipconfig /all. You'll see several lines among them the ip's of your DNS servers. Take note of them and repeat this after some time.
    Best regards

Thread Information