Thread: MY ZA SS 6 Failed Shields-Up Stealth and Leak Tests !

kapson Guest

Default MY ZA SS 6 Failed Shields-Up Stealth and Leak Tests !

Hello:

I am using ZA SS 6+. I just tried the Shields-Up Leak Test and Common Port Scanner Stealth Test. My PC Failed BOTH tests. In the Stealth Test, while all my ports were stealthed, my PC responded to a Ping.

I am wondering if it is just something or a setting on my PC that is causing ZA to fail these tests, or whether ZA is truly deficient in these aspects.

Here are links to the tests. If you do the tests please post your results.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.0

Message Edited by kapson on 12-21-2005 07:55 AM

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: MY ZA SS 6 Failed Shields-Up Stealth and Leak Tests !

Hi kapson
    By default with internet setted to high, there are only two hypothesis to fail the test.
    You have a modem that does NAT (Network Address Translation) or you are behind a router and in this case is your modem or router that is scanned and not your pc.
    You gave internet server rights to one or more programs. Well there is another possibility if in firewall internet security you clicked custom and then checked 'allow incoming ICMP ping'.
    Do the following to move quicker, open the command line (hit start-run-cmd)and type ipconfig. See what is your ip and if it is in one of this ranges.
    10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255
    If it is then you have a private ip and is a hardware device that is scanned.
    Best regards

loewenherz Guest

I passed on the leak test. No issues

ad_hock Guest

GRC leak test is a very simple one and today all firewalls (except XP)pass the test. Don't allow that this gives you a false sense of security about outbond protection. I give you a link to a site where you may find real leak tests http://www.firewallleaktester.com/index.html. However if you allow I'm giving you my opinion about this leak tests,I'm totally against as they break the first rule of security that is don't download to your pc files that you don't know from sites you don't trust.All these tests are based in downloading a file to your pc and then using several methods to bypass the firewall, either using a known program, DLL injections and so on.However is a nice site to read and learn. Testing the incoming protection it's different and should be tested one in a while in reliable sites (to me GRC,sygate,dslreports and ocasionnally pcflank).
    Best regards

Thread Information