Thread: Phone starts dialing up internet provider phone number by itself

jsinc Guest

Default Phone starts dialing up internet provider phone number by itself

I have developed a problem within the last week that is very troubling. All of a sudden, my computer starts dialing up my Internet providers phone number all by itself. I can be doing nothing, watching the desktop, and all of a sudden it just starts dialing. More often than not, whenever I click on ANY icon, it will start dialing the same number. It reads, Connecting to port then it starts dialing the access number. Once connected, nothing comes up on the screen.

I have Norton Anti-virus and Zone Alarm Pro installed on my computer. I also have Spybot, and have run virus checks every day. Nothing shows up as a virus. A week ago I installed a dial-up accelerator but I am not sure if that s the cause. I also noticed that the Zone Alarm Icon at the bottom of my screen keeps "blinking" even though there seems to be no traffic.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Phone starts dialing up internet provider phone number by itself

One possibility is that you have an e-mail client (Outlook express?) set up to check e-mail on a regular basis by autodialing then hanging up. Carefully check your mailcheck settings in your e-mail client.

If you run TCPView (from SysInternals) you will be able to see program is connecting up.

Thread Information