Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Zone HIDE the users real IP Adress?to ensure greater security when surfing the web?

rico_inside Guest

Default Can Zone HIDE the users real IP Adress?to ensure greater security when surfing the web?

It is possible to HIDE the public IP of the computer on which is running Zone Int.Security?Can the user of Zone Internet Security to hide its IP withoutneeding to useany other software or hardware other then the Zone Int. Sec.?Cose I saw that there are Internet Security softwares similar to Zone that contains Antivirus and Firewall, and can hide the IP of the computer on which are runing.Its an option in the Firewall Tab of those Softwares,called "hide IP".And so when surfing on the web sites the users real IP is hidden and replaced with a fake one,ensuring better security.Thank you!Regards, Rico

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Can Zone HIDE the users real IP Adress?to ensure greater security when surfing the web?

You can't technically hide your IP otherwise the website won't know where to send the information!!

At the very best to surf 'anonymously', you can use a proxy server. When your computer requests for information, this request is send to the proxy server which will then request the info needed from the website. Hence to the website, it 'appears' that the proxy server is the one surfing and not you. The website sends back the packet of info to the proxy server which ten redircts the traffic back to you. You could think of proxy servers as having the function of giant NAT routers.

Softwares that provide 'anonyomous' surfing hide your IP by also using proxy servers but they use their own company's proxy servers. Hence you don't have to go searching for one. ZoneAlarm does not an have 'anonyomous' surfing feature. But one of Zone Labs partner, Anonymizer, provides such a software:
    http://www.anonyomizer.com/consumer/...ymous_surfing/

gerard_konijn Guest

Default Re: Can Zone HIDE the users real IP Adress?to ensure greater security when surfing the web?

Use a Proxy Server, you can select whichServers you wish to connect to and it only takes a few seconds to change Servers. You can appear to be coming from 23 different IP addresses in five different countries. The IP addresses are on many different IP blocks and are changed frequently. You are really invisiblehttp://www.findnot.com/index.html Left-click on the blue text!Best regards, Gerard Konijn. Tilburg, The Netherlands.

rico_inside Guest

Ok.under the tab "preferences"-"general"-"options", there is proxy configuration.There if I have a proxy servers ip and port can I conect trough it so that my IP to be replaced with a fake one?Or, i still need an external software other than ZA.?And another problem is when I make an online security check , there are afew critical ports open that ZA should be stealthing.Ports that apear "closed"and not "stealthed"as they should,after firewall tester :Ideally your status should be "Blocked". This indicates that your ports are not only
    closed, but they are completely hidden (stealthed) to attackers.
    <DIV align=center>Service <DIV align=center>Ports <DIV align=center>Status <DIV align=center>Additional Information <DIV align=center>WEB<DIV align=center>80<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>Server Message Block<DIV align=center>445<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>WEB<DIV align=center>80<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>POP3<DIV align=center>110<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>IDENT<DIV align=center>113<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>NetBIOS<DIV align=center>139<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>HTTPS<DIV align=center>443<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>Server Message Block<DIV align=center>445<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>SOCKS PROXY<DIV align=center>1080<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.<DIV align=center>SOURCE PORT<DIV align=center>2042<DIV align=center>CLOSED<DIV align=center>This is the port you are using to communicate to our Web Server. A firewall that uses Stateful Packet Inspection will show a 'BLOCKED' result for this port.<DIV align=center>WEB PROXY<DIV align=center>8080<DIV align=center>BLOCKED<DIV align=center>This port has not responded to any of our probes. It appears to be completely stealthed.

teda Guest

I want to see if I understand . I use a small town ISP and I'm sure they track every bodies
    surfing habits . If I set ZoneAlarm to use a proxy server , would this hide what ever site I
    went to ? Would Firefox then automatically use this proxy server ?
    Thanks
    Ted

unhappy_viewer Guest

You don't actually set the proxy settings in ZA. You set it in your browser's preferences.

For Firefox go to Tools>Options. Select the "General" Section and click the "Connection Settings" button. Select "Manual Proxy Configuration" and put yor settings there before clicking "Ok".

unhappy_viewer Guest

If you already have a proxy server's settings, you just need to place it in your browsers preferences. No need for an external software.

As for your security check, are you using a router or modem with NAT? If you are, what is tested is the hardware firewalls in these devices and not ZA.

teda Guest

<blockquote><hr>unhappy_viewer wrote:
    You don't actually set the proxy settings in ZA. You set it in your browser's preferences.

For Firefox go to Tools>Options. Select the "General" Section and click the "Connection Settings" button. Select "Manual Proxy Configuration" and put yor settings there before clicking "Ok".
    <hr></blockquote>
    Ah , an then I would set my outlook express to use the same connection as firefox ?
    Thx
    Ted

unhappy_viewer Guest

Outlook Express, I believe shares the same settings as Internet Explorer. So you'd have to put the setting into Internet Explorer's options (Start>Control Panel> Internet Options).

P.S. No offence, but why are you using such a pitiful email client? You should treat yourself to a better and more secure email client like Firefox's brother, Mozilla Thunderbird :
    http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 01-27-2006 01:37 AM

teda Guest

Can you get grc.com news groups with Thunderbird ? Also, I'm having a problem with firefox .
    I have a website that's set to block cookies and I want to change it to allow ,but firefox
    won't let me . I go into "exceptions" > add the website > click allow and I can see it change
    status .But after I click ok and go back into exceptions an check it ,the status has
    reverted back to blocked . Any idea's what's going on there ?
    thx
    Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information