Thread: My computer is dialling a national rate number 0870 6080237 of its own accord

Hybrid View

duncanborlum Guest

Default My computer is dialling a national rate number 0870 6080237 of its own accord

On my latest telephone account I noticed frequent calls, mainly in the middle of the night, to United Kingdom Number) 0870 6080237. I have dialled the number, and I can hear data tones, presumably indicating that I am coneected to a computer of some sort. This has been happeningwithout my knowledge for some time. It appears to me that my computer has been compromised. I have a broadband internet connection, and have alsways been running zonalabs anti virus software ever since I purchased this computer, and as far as I am aware it is configured correctly.Can anyone advise me what I should do? How can I stop this happening, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: My computer is dialling a national rate number 0870 6080237 of its own accord

Hi, Perhaps I can help you, as I am a user of Zone Alarm Pro. PLEASE go to this site and complete their FREE online scanning for BUGS. PLEASE post back your results.http://www.ewido.net/en/ Thank you for your time and have a nice day! SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: My computer is dialling a national rate number 0870 6080237 of its own accord

Sounds like a maliciouse dialer. These would of course attempt to keep on dialing to connect to the internet and attempt to bring you to unwanted sites. The unwanted sites are bad enough but its mainly the cost of your phone bill that will be a problem.

First some steps to stem the tide. In addition to downloading the free Ewido as what SlyFox mentioned, get the following antispyware apps too (they are all free):
    Microsoft Windows Antispyware (beta), Ad-aware, Spybot: Search and Destroy.

Update the 4 programs once installed and then restart in Safe Mode and run your scans. Delete any malicious object found. Then restart your computer normally and run another round of scans o verify that you are clean.

horseman Guest

Do you (or whoever used/owned the PC/laptop before) have Barclays Merchant Services and/or PDQ terminal Installed?If so it's ringing home for maintenance updates. Probably 30mins a time?

duncanborlum Guest

Yes, I do have a pdq terminal, but I have checked with merchant services, and they don't use the number that is being dialled. I have actually disconnected the terminal to ensure that this isn't the problem. I have also taken the advice or sly fox, and unhappy one, and run other virus/spyware applications. I was going to wait with my response until I could judge the success of this strategy, but I can say that Ewido found about thirty infections, mostly low risk, which Zonelabs hadn't detected. I got interrupted by other matters, and didn't save details of the medium rated risks, but "double-click" and "swizzor" ring a bell.By the end of today I hope to announce that the problem is solved. Thank you all for your help so far!

Thread Information