Thread: Gamespy Arcade settings not removed during a /clean Uninstall of ZA PRO

cyborg Guest

Default Gamespy Arcade settings not removed during a /clean Uninstall of ZA PRO

Hello,
    I have uninstalled ZA Pro 61.737.000 using the /clean instructions.
    When I go to reinstall ZA Pro and then go into GameSpy Arcade and COD2 (Call Of Duty 2),

after reinstallation of ZA PRO are they are being automaticaly detected in the same way as some essential Windows Programmes? I have given both of these programmes Super Trusted Access previously under Programme Control,
    Is this not a "security leak" of sorts and where is the data coming from? Obviously within the /clean unistallation not everything associated with ZA Pro is being removed. Do I also need to uninstall GameSpy at the same time as I uninstall ZA PRO?
    Certain other games, for example Unreal Tournament 2004, where I have not gone into the game via GameSpy, then ZA PRO does its job and
    asks me to grant permission.
    It would seem that any game I have joined via GameSpy Arcade, and COD2 is one example, is for whatever reason keeping previous access settings. I suspect it must be GameSpy Arcade that retains this information but how?
    I do note that GameSpy Arcade is still being picked up by ZA Pro Anti-Spyware and if I delete what is picked up GameSpy will not run. According to GameSpy/IGN there is no Spyware contained within their programme and that this is a false positive.
    Has anybody had a similar experience and should I be concerned about how GameSpy Arcade stores data?
    Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Gamespy Arcade settings not removed during a /clean Uninstall of ZA PRO

Do you have the smart defense advisor on medium or high?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

cyborg Guest

Default Re: Gamespy Arcade settings not removed during a /clean Uninstall of ZA PRO

Thanx for responding Hoov.
    I am not sure how you set "smart defense advisor" firstly.
    I have again uninstalled ZA Pro using the /clean unistall method. I also have unistalled GameSpy Arcade.
    When I installed ZA Pro again still the games/programmes I have granted either Super Or Trusted level too when ZA Pro was last on my system are being automatically restored in a similar way to essential windows programmes. This is without asking me for my permission as they used to with previous versions of ZA PRO.
    Why is this as I feel uncomfoirtable with a FIREWALL that is "storing" past settings even when I have performed a /clean Uninstall?
    Thank ypu

If you go to the program control section in ZA, the SmartDefense Advisor is the second box down. If its on high, it goes out on the net to the ZoneLabs servers and gets the default settings for the program that was just added, and sets its settings to those on the server. If you want to do it manually, you will need to place the advisor on medium or off. If its on medium, it will make suggestions, off it will not do anything.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information