Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to install any Windows Updates!

Hybrid View

hallber Guest

Default Unable to install any Windows Updates!

I make it a habit to go to the Microsoft site at least once a week to check if there are any updates. I have had ZA Pro 6.1 for about 6 weeks and, while I can go to the Windows Update site, scan and download updates, the installation always fails. I am getting pretty concerned because I know there are several updates (not to mention a new version of the updater) that I have not been able to install.
    I see from some previous posts that other users have come up against this problem before. Any advice re what to do about it?
    Thanks

H
    ==============================================AMD Athlon 2200+, 512mb RAM, 260Gb HD,
    XP Home

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Unable to install any Windows Updates!

See if this will help your situation. Clean your browser cache and turn off your 'main' Program Control before you go to the Windows update site. now check for and install the updates if you can. This suggestion has helped some users but I've not seen a pattern as to who it helps and who it does not help. Let me know if you would.

hallber Guest

Thanks very much! It worked. :8}
    I do wonder how many other workarounds I don't know about, though..! Is there any way to configure Program Control so that it allows Windows Update to do its thing?

Thanks again

H

billc Guest

Some users have been able to customize the Windows Update site in their Site List but this does not work in every case. You could try going to your Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter update.microsoft.com , then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again. It may not work in your case which means you should follow the work-around.

learner2020 Guest

Actually, when I do Updates, I do them when I first log on and only connect to Windows Update site.

Since, I am only connecting for updates, I let the system run for about 5 mins., make sure traffic is ok and turn off ZA so that the updates are installed without any problem.

hallber Guest

Thanks for the advice re the Windows site list. Microsoft.com is already on my list so adding it wouldn't work for me. I am not sure about switching off the firewall! I have always been a bit antsy about dropping it. I know turning off Programme Control is almost as bad but I have noticed that all web traffic seems to stop while the Windows Updates are being installed. Not sure if that is my imagination but I reckon part of a firewall is better than none at all!

So I will stick with the workaround. Thanks all for the advice!

H

tony_a Guest

Learner2020,

NEVER turn of your firewall when connected to the Internet!

Tony_A

tony_a Guest

Please read my reply to: 'Help about the same problem.' (http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=14868) in this forum. There is no need to turn off ZA during an update.

Tony_A

hallber Guest

Tony_A,

Thanks for that. I have added the IP address range for Microsoft.com. You mentioned in your reply something about going to the Control Panel to add *.microsoft.com to the trusted sites list. Is this done via Tools/Internet Options in IE or the firewall? If it's the firewall, I am using ZAPro 6.1 and I cannot see a Control Panel anywhere! Could you tell me where to go to access it?

Thanks again

H

tony_a Guest

the *.microsoft.com entry should be made through Start Menu - Control Panel - Internet Options - Security Tab - Trusted - Sites, to set up your default internet options for your system, not through ZA. The IE - Tools will take you to the same app I believe.

Don't forget to add both the IP ranges mentioned to ZA because update.microsoft.com uses the 64.4.0.0 - 64.4.63.255 as well.

Hope that solves your problem.

Tony_A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information