Thread: "the command line utility is trying to access the internet"

leok Guest

Default "the command line utility is trying to access the internet"

my zonealarm firewall has recently started to warn me at times that "the command
    line utility is trying to access the internet"

what is the command line utility, and should i allow it to access the internet?

Leo

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: "the command line utility is trying to access the Internet"

Hey Leo,the command line utility in Windows XP would be the Command Prompt,which can be summoned by clicking Start>Run typing in CMD,this will bring you to that specific utility.I am not sure why it would want access to the Internet at all,unless you type in a command that makes it need this access,if you however haven't summoned the utility,then it might be some sort of nefarious program thats using that utility to venture onto the Internet.Look at the file path next time you get this alert,make sure its a windows file,also scan with an AV/Spyware/Trojan/Malware scanner,see if you may have been infected with some sort of virus or other nefarious program.

Default Re: "the command line utility is trying to access the Internet"

"cmd" is the old MS-DOS prompt. Its job is to launch a new process by typing in it name by typing it in instead of double clicking its icon on the desktop. "cmd" itself should not need or even ask for internet access. However programs that it launches may need access and ZA should bring up Alerts requesting access for the launched proram, but not "cmd" itself.

mardigras Guest

Default Re: "the command line utility is trying to access the internet"

This alert is likely
    the result of a recent installation of Windows Defender or upgrading from Microsoft Anti-Spyware to Windows Defender.

Thread Information