Thread: Symantec says I have no protection

geoc Guest

Default Symantec says I have no protection

I have the Free Zone Alarms firewall and dial-up connection. I ran a secruity check at Symantec and it said I didn't have any protection.

Operating System:Windows ME
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Symantec says I have no protection

Hi My guess is Symantec maybe referrng to AntiVirus protection. Got any antivirus installed on the pc? They do not mean firewall protection. Take care Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

geoc Guest

Hi Oldsod,

No this was a firewall check. I have Norton antivirus.

Hi Okay If ZA is on - you can use it and see it running, along with truevector and vsmon in the Task Manager running - then my guess this due to the fact there is no Symantec firewall present. Hence you are risk to the end that you should buy the Nortons firewall. Maybe just a sales pitch. Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ad_hock Guest

Hi GeoC and Oldsod
    My guess is that with the Symantec security check the scanning is done over a wrong ip. I don't rely in this test as they fail quite often to determine the right ip,even without a router or a NAT modem,a simple firewall is enough for this. I suggest you run the test and take note of the ip that is scanned. Then in windows with ipconfig see what is your computer's ip and compare with the ip scanned. I think they will be different.If you use a router or a NAT modem this is normal due to NAT.If you don't have this hardware run the shields up test at www.grc.com and see the results. If without router or Nat modem shields up fails the most likely case is one or more programs with internet server rights.
    Best regards

Thread Information